Quotes I felt connected to during this breakup

Started by TiredOfNarcs, April 22, 2022, 02:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiredOfNarcs

"It was never my job to make you feel like a man. I can't make you something you're not." - Astrid, Crazy Rich Asians
He would constantly whine that he wasn't good enough for me until I dropped whatever issue I was trying to bring up to solve together.

"When you say you won't forget me, I can tell you that's not true. 'Cause every day since you left me, I've thought less and less of you. And I've worn out all the reasons to keep on knocking at your door. Could be the changing of the seasons, but I don't love you anymore." - Two Door Cinema Club, Changing of the Seasons
This was a man who used and took me for granted from the moment he knew he had me. He expected to have me on a string at all times even after we broke up, insisting on us being friends and attempting to dangle the possibility of us getting back together over my head to try and get me to go back to being the more-manipulatable pushover I was before. He expected me to still chase after him like a lost puppy and was somehow shocked when I didn't. He could lie again and again about how he would always love me, but my most liberating epiphany came from realizing I didn't love him anymore - romantically, platonically, or even as a person.

"If you didn't know, you're an idiot. If you did know, you're my enemy." - Sansa, Game of Thrones
His excuse for so much of the vile shit he did and said was that he didn't know it was wrong, or that he's "only young" and shouldn't be expected to know any better (he's a grown man and has been for years). Toxic amnesia was a favorite tactic of his, weaponized whenever he would do something fucked up, like knowingly using my past and my trauma against me before pretending he didn't even remember I had said past/trauma. While I never confronted him about the questionable things he did in terms of respecting my boundaries in the bedroom, this quote perfectly sums up what I would say if he tried to claim he didn't realize what he was doing.

"[My future boyfriend] is gonna be twice the man you never were." - Jaclyn Glenn, Dear Future Asshole
This is my third time coming out of a relationship and realizing how toxic it was, and at this point it's a struggle to have faith in the idea that men can be kind, decent, empathetic, and caring. But I feel like a big part of my healing process comes from reminding myself that someday I'm going to find someone who respects me and treats me how I should be treated.

"I heard you got a new man, I see you takin' a pic, then you post it up, thinking that it's making me sick. Brr, brr, I see you calling, I be making it quick. I'ma answer that shit like, 'I don't fuck with you.'" - Big Sean, IDFWU
Two weeks post-breakup and he's already found a new girl, taking pictures with her that she posts to social media, following me around events with her to try and make sure I see him with her, trying to hoover by just "casually" checking up with me when he sees me. And my response is simply to keep gray rocking him. Short, bland responses to his queries. No emotion. Nothing for him to work with in terms of getting a reaction out of me. Blocked on all forms of digital communication.

There's a lot more quotes but some of them are definitely more vulgar haha, and these were the first handful that came to mind.

What quotes did you feel connected to after breaking up with your PD ex?

oak_tree

In my mind, my SO's theme song is Elton John's "I'm Still Standing" :)  Maybe it's a bit obvious, but, well, it's catchy, and makes him smile.

Gettintired76

"I feel you crumble in my arms down to your heart of stone, You bleed me dry just like the tears you've never shown, Take what you want from me, take what you need from me, take what you want and go." -Ozzy Osbourne and Post Malone. And "I worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies, I tell my sins so you can sharpen your knife, offer me that deathless death, Good God let me give you my life"-Hozier

Gettintired76

Heres another....."People dont know bout the things I say and do, they don't understand bout the shit that I been through, its been to long since I been home, I've been gone, I been for way too long, Lately I forgot all the things I missed, Lord somehow I know there's more to life then this, I said it to many times, and I still stand firm, You get what you put in and people get what they deserve, But I ain't seen mine, no I ain't seen mine, been givin but ain't been gettin, Yeah walkin that there line, and I guess I'll keep a-walkin with my head held high, just keep movin on, And Only God knows Why."- Kid Rock