Is it bad that I don't want to vote for people who praise him?

Started by TiredOfNarcs, April 29, 2022, 05:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiredOfNarcs

My narcissistic ex is very obsessed with his college student government activities. They're his perfect source of self-aggrandizement and attention. He's very good at crafting a benevolent persona for himself, especially when I was behind the scenes helping him by giving him the perspective of someone who can feel empathy. Consequently, the majority of people in student government tend to publicly sing his praises a lot. I know that very few of them realize the man he truly is, but with this upcoming election where basically every candidate for every position has praised him and aligned with him, I just...don't know if I can bring myself to vote for any of them. It's not that I hold it against any of them that they don't know who he truly is beneath the mask, but a vote is an affirmation of moral agreement and support of a candidate's statements, and I am fundamentally in moral disagreement with all of them if their platforms involve proclaiming the man who emotionally abused me to be a good person to be admired and respected. It just makes me sick to my stomach. I feel like I'd be a traitor to myself if I allowed myself to vote for people who reinforce his cult of personality, albeit unknowingly. I might just abstain.

1footouttadefog

It's your right to abstain.  Or if it's an option to write in a name. 

You can always leave the task to others who are not involved.  It would be like when a judge abstains from a case because they have had oast dealings with someone.  It's a thing of honor to do this.