Mother's Day Card (just need to vent)

Started by waterfalls, April 30, 2022, 11:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liketheducks

I totally understand.   Mother's and Father's Day are HARD for me.    I bought a card...it is still in my desk.   The card section and social media memes are an emotional minefield for people with family issues.   And, so many of us have them.   Honestly, I sent a small gift.....didn't sign it.   We exchanged texts.   She liked the gift.   Deal done.   

wisingup

I stopped acknowledging Mothers Day maybe 10 years ago.  It was just too fraught with potential to fall short of her expectations, or be less than what her sister got, that I just gave up entirely.  For a few years, after I was a mother myself, I used my MD weekend to shop,cook, and host an event for her in my home, since I knew it was what she expected.  Then back to work on Monday, exhausted from "my" special weekend.  I don't recall her ever wishing me a happy md - she was the reigning mother so it was all about her.

waterfalls

Sidney37--I hear you, and it was so considerate of you to be gracious about the blueberry muffin. I act similarly--I would never tell someone who gifts me something that I don't like what they gave. I would simply thank them for it and not hurt their feelings.
Isn't it something how, if we would treat our npd parents the way they treat us, they would be deeply offended? But yet, we're not supposed to be offended by them and simply accept what they dish out.
Yes, healing does take a long time. I wish you peace.

LavenderLime--I'm so sorry. I understand and feel your pain. When I was a kid (maybe I was close to 10), my mother had the talk with me that I was older and it was time for me to stop making her and other relatives cards/gifts and start buying them. I remember feeling hurt at the time, like what I did wasn't good enough. My mother appreciated original art and other things that were paid for, but I guess she didn't like my then childishly made things.
I've been crocheting for years, and my in-laws and friends like receiving afghans I make (unless they're just being polite). I gave my mom one of my afghans some years back, but I never saw her use it. She uses an afghan her sister made her more recently and keeps repeating how much she likes that it keeps her legs warm. Oh, well.
If I were a recipient of one of your cards, I would appreciate the thought, heart, and effort that went into it. I'm so sorry for what you went through with your Unpdmother.