Character Building Booklist

Started by Sojourner17, October 14, 2022, 01:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sojourner17

Good day all,

I was listening to a vlog by a woman named Lydia Sherman today. She can be a bit triggering as she doesn't understand abuse very well but she says a lot of other good things so i overlook this, take the meat...spit out the fat.  She was talking about books that build character.  I thought that perhaps this would be a good place to start a booklist of character building books,  both fiction and non-fiction.  Books can be mirrors AND windows.  Those that are well written can help, teach, exhort, encourage, etc whether they are self-help/counselling focused or not.  SO...I thought that maybe I would start a thread where we can share our favorite character building books for future reading/use.

I think it may be best to format the list as follows:
TItle and author of the book and a brief synopsis of what it is about.

I will start with some of my favorites as well as a few im currently working my way through.

The Bible - The Word of God as given to various authors over many centuries   ;)  - The story of the people of God from Creation onward.  A living word applicable for today and to everybody's life.  The story of God's redemption of His people,  Yeshua (Jesus) and what he came to do as well as what he will do someday in the future.

Anne of Green Gables (as well as the rest of the Anne series!) - Lucy Maud Montgomery - A coming of age story of an orphan adopted by elderly siblings that takes place on Prince Edward Island.  A story of Anne's foibles and learning from mistakes.  A story of growing love between Anne and her caregivers, Marilla and Mathew.  The story shows how Anne's character develops as well as the development of Marilla's character that occurs in her golden years.  The book also shows the devotion, love and loyalty of Matthew who's kind hearted and quiet ways soothes Anne's broken heart and helps Marilla's hard heart to soften. 

Little Britches - Ralph Moody - I read this one with my boys last year for school.  This book is about a young boy growing up on a farm/ranch in Colorado.  It is also a coming age story telling of the hard work and responsibilities that a young boy is put under as well as many of the trials and temptations that come his way.  I do think that at one point he is whipped by his father (cant remember for sure) but for the most part the book shows strength of character in both the father, mother, and the young boy. 

Im sure I will be adding a whole lot more but I think this may be a good start!   :bigwink:

"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it..." - Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery