10 week challenge

Started by Associate of Daniel, October 24, 2022, 08:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Associate of Daniel

It's 10 week's to Christmas, folks!

I watched a YouTube video this morning which challenges the viewer to make some attainable changes over the next 10 weeks.
Some suggestions were reading for half an hour per day, saving a set amount of money, walking 3 days a week etc.

There are any number of such videos, but for some reason this one resonated with me.

So, like we often do at the start of a new year here on Out of the FOG, I think I'll try this for the final 10 weeks of the year.

According to this YouTuber, the goals need to be S.M.A.R.T.:  Simple, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timing (by a certain date)

I'm going to:

Try to stretch every night before bed.  Hopefully that will help ease the sore back situation during the night.

Read a little each day; minimum 15 minutes.  I've become very slack with this.

Get out in the garden a few times each week - try to fill one green bin per fortnight.  It's spring here and the weeds have completely taken over.

Drink an extra glass of water each day, bringing my total to 3. (I do drink other things as well.  I may have become just a little bit addicted to iced coffee...)

Doing the above will probably mean I spend a little less time on my screens too, which can only be a good thing.

So, anyone care to join me?

AOD

treesgrowslowly

Hi AOD,

How is this going? I like the idea of attainable goals - those can make us feel like we have some new forward momentum in our own lives. I hope it is going well!

Trees

Jolie40

I told husband/child my goal is to get family room cleaned up by Thanksgiving
need room for tree!

since we got a puppy earlier this year, the kitchen was emptied so puppy wouldn't chew on furniture
everything got moved into family room & bills/papers accumulated on the table/chairs

I have the worst time going through "piles of papers" so this is a BIG challenge for me
HELP!

be good to yourself

Associate of Daniel

I tend to get inspired about these things when I'm not working.  So when I'm ill or during holidays.

But then I go back to work and my goals fade into the background as I deal with the day to day.

But so far:  I've been reading more.  I'm on my screens for less.  The water is hit and miss - usually because I'm just not thirsty so I don't think to drink anything.  The stretching is non existent.  Silly me.

However, I'll keep trying, as I do feel so much better if I can do these things.

AOD

JustKeepTrying

AOD - I love that you followed through!  I have a time on my phone that reminds of stretching time and put down the screens time or else I would blow through till I fell asleep with my laptop on my lap and glasses on my face   :)

Here is a tip on water - drink a glass before coffee.  Trust me.  It was a game changer when I started drinking a glass in the morning.  Began craving it more and more through the day.  Now I am almost solely water.

this is so cool and I think I will put it into place for the new year.  But use your acronym and make small changes that support my goals.

Get up and move every two hours during the day - even if just for a few minutes
for one week, go to bed on time.  and then see if I can continue it
Increase vegetables intake with each meal
reach out to a friend every week for lunch or coffee
stand outside even for only a minute to breath

Thank you AOD!

Associate of Daniel

Thanks, JKT.

Unfortunately  the 10 week challenge was tremendously challenged.  I ended up with Covid and it put everything out of whack.

However, I'm slowly getting back on track.  Reading a lot more, for starters.

Your recommendation to drink water before coffee is a good one.  Unfortunately I don't drink coffee though! 

I do drink iced coffee every day and actually drink a glass of water with Apple Cider Vinegar every morning before I have said iced coffee.  I've also been managing most days to drink at least 3 glasses of water - one up from the previous 2 that I was consuming.  I find if I put it on a (mental) to do list it seems to help.

Anyway. The 10 week challenge can be moved to any time of the year, right?

We'll see what 2023 brings.

AOD