Sudden therapy cure of BPD behaviors

Started by Starboard Song, October 31, 2022, 01:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starboard Song

My friend has struggled with a 19YO son for several years. He has been diagnosed with BPD and maybe bi-polar by a doctor. His behavior has been hostile and even violent for several years. His outbursts often start in the evenings and  won't end until 2 am or later.

He has refused to participate in therapy or counseling, and says horrible, crude things about my friend and her husband.

About 8 weeks ago now, he came to them and said something like, "you have been wanting me to do therapy. I found a BPD therapists on TikTok and I am going to do my best." It has been a sustained streak of success for two months now. He'll say that he was very unhappy being the way he was, and is happier now. He says that he had insecurities and he lashed out because of them. He uses terms we all use here to discuss the habits and patterns of PD folks, and uses them in a self-aware way.

After a minor blow up last week, he came to them and said something like, "hey, I've been having a hard day here. Feeling a lot of anxiety about the [whatever]. That came out as anger at you earlier. That wasn't fair, and I am sorry."

It is nothing short of amazing.

I hardly can credit it as real except that my friend has been very open about their trauma, and she wouldn't lie about this now. She doesn't know who it is that her son is reading or listening to, but damn if it hasn't made him kind and gentle for a LOOOONG two months.

I know. I know. He's young, and maybe this means he never really had BPD. That is its own lesson, though. And whatever he "had", he was a consistent terror to live with for three years and is suddenly tame. There is no new girlfriend involved, and they don't think he has access to any drugs or meds.

Anyway. A story of hope.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

notrightinthehead

I can only hope that you will find out who this therapist is.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Preamble

This sounds so wonderful, thank you for sharing it :)

hhaw

Yes yes!  Would love to know which T he's seeing!
hhaw

What you are speaks so loudly in my ears.... I can't hear a word you're saying.

When someone tells you who they are... believe them.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
Nietchzsche

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness."
Eleanor Roosevelt

NarcKiddo

Don't let the narcs get you down!