2023 goals

Started by Jolie40, November 24, 2022, 11:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolie40

2022 flew by! It's already time to post our goals, changes, ideas for 2023.

I joined 2 writing groups this fall. So my goal for 2023 is to continue in the writing groups & possibly join a 3rd group. They only meet once/mos so it seems like forever until the next meetings.
Wanted to submit a piece for publication but didn't get around to it. Submitting will be a goal for 2023.

Your turn!
be good to yourself

escapingman

There is so much depending on the divorce but putting all that aside and starting my life anyway.

- Get rid of a lot of unhealthy habits I have got during the divorce
- Join a health club, not the cheapest gym around but a nice one where I can mix training and relaxing
- Make it a regular habit of having massages, really put myself first
- With the ones above losing some weight and getting rid of my back problems
- Travel, it will be difficult to travel alone as I have DD but then I will travel with her. Try to see the world, or at least some of Europe which is doable over weekends
- Keep expanding my social life, maybe joining a group (which scares me)
- Challenge myself workwise and stand up for myself and not just take the easy ride
- Start saying no to my FOO and move towards indifference

Thing I can't really be in charge of myself but I hope to achieve

- Get GC back in my life
- Finalise the divorce
- Buy a new house that is mine and only mine where I can grow whatever I want in the garden

I got further than I could ever imagine in 2022 - Well into the divorce proceeding and NC for 6 months.

Jolie40

December starts this week so 2023 is around the corner!

anyone besides escapingman wish to share their goals for 2023?

lots of great goals escapingman!
be good to yourself

mustard_seed

My first goal: set goals for 2023 ;)

I'm planning to take some time the week of 12/26 to set 2023 goals. Writing this here will help keep me accountable to come back and share my goals!

Thanks for starting this thread. It's inspiring to read about y'all's goals!

Jolie40

mustard seed.....looking forward to reading your 2023 goals

I lost weight starting in 2019 so normal weight now
recently decided that I'd like to lose another 10 lbs to be on the skinny side & not just normal weight
it would also give me a leeway in case I gain any back

also thinking of joining a new women's group that starts in Jan
be good to yourself

Poison Ivy

My primary goal, for the rest of 2022 or perhaps even into 2023, is to try to be a good mom to my old dog and to not decide wrong about the time and circumstances of her final journey.

Poison Ivy

I need a different goal for 2023. I decided to help my dear dog end her journey today. She was my fifth dog, and making the decision changes but never gets easier.

JustKeepTrying

Thank you for starting this!

I am down 25 pounds and I want to go another 30 which I think is feasible.

I am working toward walking a 5K - without my cane in the spring!  The surgeon is on board and my trainer is working me hard so it feels attainable

In April my lease is up and I will finally be on my way to begin full time travel!

I want to finalize and submit another book for publication.  I would also like to expand my writing market.

On an internal goal, develop the habit of daily meditation and continue yoga a few times a week.

I think I got this!

Amadahy

Quote from: Poison Ivy on December 09, 2022, 06:54:08 PM
I need a different goal for 2023. I decided to help my dear dog end her journey today. She was my fifth dog, and making the decision changes but never gets easier.

Aw, PoisonIvy, I am so sorry.  Such a difficult, but loving, decision.  Much love and compassion to you.

I love seeing everyone's goals. Hope is good for the soul.

I will have some dedicated time the last ten days of this month and will be thinking about this. Thanks for the thread!  Warmest wishes to everyone for a happy and successful 2023!
Ring the bells that still can ring;
Forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything ~~
That's how the Light gets in!

~~ Leonard Cohen

Andeza

I suppose I ought to sit down and actually do this. It will be helpful to have a list of goals to aim for amidst all the things happening and changing. Very much a Tale of Two Cities sort of "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" going on in my life at the moment.

--Get our new property capable of supporting life. Like putting in a well, a septic system, getting electricity hooked up. Also start building the temporary house structure attached to the workshop so we can double the square footage we are currently living in.
--Get a new chicken coop built and move the girls and that dang grumpy rooster.
--Get Dad's estate settled. Monumentally difficult task.
--Try to finally publish a book. This is my "If you don't try, you can't fail" elephant in the room. *sigh*
--Start vlogging our homestead building journey and see if anything comes of it.
--Have our third, and final, child. Not pregnant yet, but that will likely change soon. :bigwink:
--This would be a bonus point as the timing may be impossible- try to aim at planting an early spring garden next year, which would require prepping beds late this coming fall. Which is also most likely when third child would arrive, so we'll see... I'm skeptical of this one.
--Move our fruit trees onto the homestead.
--Maybe even get the whole perimeter fence up. That may be a bit too enthusiastic as well.
--Pay off all our personal debts. That might be done before the end of this month thanks to life insurance money.

Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Poison Ivy

I like reading these goals. Thank you for sharing hope!

square

I'm sorry for your loss, PI.

I quit sugar on Nivember 1. I'd done it for a year or so years back and wanted to do it again but didn't have anything extra to give. Now I have a little more breathing room and due to a confluence of events it was easy peasy this time.

The crazy thing is that on day 17, I started to feel a lot more energy. I'm not any more productive (sadly) but I run up the stairs instead of walking, I dance to music while cooking dinner, I really want to jog but I'm legally blind and can't follow the road without help. My DD walks with me but has asthma and does not jog. Still, I goad her into going a couple hundred feet lol.

Thing is, I have some post viral syndrome (nit long covid but basically the same). With that comes a fatigue that I can't push past. Before I had it, sure, I'd be tired when I was out of shape but you keep going and eventually you get stronger and more energized. But with this, I would pay and pay for exertion. If I ever got anywhere I'd get hit with a few weeks setback, all gains lost.

Well, I did have a setback already. But I'm hoping it was just a cold or something (had a fever). Lost my energy for some time. But a few days ago it came back again, so I'm really hoping if I can avoid illness I won't have another setback.

So my goal is to keep going. No sugar. Have already been eating healthy otherwise. I don't have a scale but maybe lost a couple pounds (have 10-15 pounds I could stand to lose). Have taken out my dumbbells and done some upper body work, planning to buy some more plates to add on weight. Trying to figure out a leg workout I can do at home, squats and lunges and stuff.

My fear is, I'm visiting my mom soon and it may be hard. She believes not eating sugar is a sin, and just really acts like a minor amount of exercise is basically crossfit, when I would just like her to ignore me and let me do my thing. I'll have to hide in my room to do it but hopefully I can keep going. THERE'S ALWAYS SOMETHING, something that makes any teeny progress go back to the starting line!!

Poison Ivy

JustKeepTrying

I'm sorry for your loss PI.

Square - that is admirable.  The amount of courage and your convictions are just incentivizing.  Go you! 

Not sure if this is available for you - but on meetup there are running groups.  Perhaps you can join one and someone would be willing to guide you.  Or reach out to a running group and ask if someone would be interested.  In my experience, runners are always looking for a reason to run.  Good luck!

countrygirl

Thanks for starting this thread, jolie40.   Interesting that you and several others have writing goals for the new year.  My goal is to spend more time writing, and less thinking about what I plan to write!  It is great to have ideas, but I need to put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard.  The loss of my good friend really drove home, once again, how precious time is, and I want to stop wasting mine.

So sorry about your dog, Poison Ivy.  You sound like a very good dog mom.  Making that decision is never easy.  Have had to make it several times for a variety of pets.  May loving memories overshadow your grief, in the fullness of time.  It's a hard time of year for grief, isn't it?

I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts.  All the best to you for 2023!  I wonder, do you think it would be helpful to keep this thread going, so that we can check back here from time to time and talk about how we're doing? 

NarcKiddo

My main goals are (as usual) fitness related.

I reached a huge goal I'd been working towards for years last May, just before I had to undergo abdominal surgery. That was to do an unassisted pull up (or chin up). I managed the chin up.

I've been working back to fitness and my coach has finally allowed me to start going heavy again. My deadlift is almost back to where it was (80kg when it was 85kg). I need to get it back to 85kg. The next goal is 100kg, but I think that might be a bit much of an ask in one year. I can always try, though. My squat is nowhere near where it was, so there's that. I have just about got the chin up back but I also need to get the pull up and then be able to do more than one at a time.

So, yeah. Lots to do.

Wishing everyone well with their goals. And so sorry, Poison Ivy, that you needed to make that call this year. As you say, it never gets easier.
Don't let the narcs get you down!

Andeza

The larger of the two life insurance policies came through. We are now completely debt free. So that's one really, really big one off the list.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Associate of Daniel

That is wonderful news, Andeza!  Now for the Emergency Fund (if that's your next goal).

I find it interesting that so many in this thread are setting goals for health, fitness, finances, living more sustainably, decluttering and striving for a quieter, more simplified life, getting back to nature.

I think it's fabulous!  And kind of goes along with a thread I started recently about minimalism, essentialism and slow living.

AOD

wisingup

Ah, it is nice to read this thread filled with goals & optimism.  I'm inspired.  Here are some of mine:

Be the best mom I can to my 2 DDs.  I've been in a bit of a stress/depression hole since Covid & moving to WFH & I think I've haven't been the mom I want to be to these young adult women.
Don't stress over work so much.  I'll do the best I can & if that's not good enough, we will part ways. Life is too short!
Get back into reasonable running shape so I can do the end of season runs with my club
Start building new social activities to fill in for the isolation of WFH, as well as starting the framework for a post-retirement life.  DH and I have joined a book club and started playing pickle ball with friends, and I've found a local nature center I'd like to volunteer at when the time comes.

And that's enough - don't over-commit yourself 😀

wisingup

A couple of comments on others goals...

Square - I'd really like to quit sugar!  I know it affects me very strongly & I would feel so much better if I did.  The idea of it makes me anxious though - I realize that I use it a bit to make it through my day.  Are you 100% no sugar, or more "no dessert"?  Maybe I'll try a week at a time & see how it goes.

Also - my running group includes members with spinal cord injuries, deaf runners, one with "runner's dystonia" who has to run backwards (it's fascinating - look it up if you have a chance!). Plus many of the other members are frequently nursing some injury.  The point being that there is always someone in the group needing to go slow & careful & there are always members happy to run with them and assist them.  Runners are ridiculously friendly people when you get them together  :tongue2: