No contact when it's not you

Started by Preamble, February 27, 2023, 07:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Preamble

Hi everyone
Infrequent poster. 

Does anyone have any ideas for how to think your options through, when you are a caregiver and believe so strongly that your person needs to go No Contact with a close relative if you are to be able to go on caring for them, because of all the stress the uNPD causes, and yet there is no alternative place available for your person to go? 

My friend is having a very hard time figuring out what's right, and their person is an adult with impaired judgement. 

What is the use of "they have rights" if no-one  is available who can make it possible?

foobarred

Wow, tough scenario. I don't think the carer can (or should) interfere between family members *directly*. But it sounds like the PD is adversely affecting this patient's care.

Who is responsible for the patient? I assume they have a guardian or a POA. Perhaps the best approach is for the carer to notify that person of what's going on - that the patient has a family member who is being difficult and disruptive, and that it's compromising the patient's care. Provide specific dates and examples to illustrate, e.g., "On Feb 14th the family member did/said thus-and-so, and I noticed that the patient was very upset/depressed/agitated for several hours afterward." Or "On Feb 11th the family member got into an argument with the staff over such-and-such, and over the next half hour became very verbally aggressive such that the staff felt threatened and intimidated." Keep a log *in writing* and be specific about what happened and the effects on the patient/staff. The more documentation, the better. And conclude with the statement that he/she is uncertain they can keep caring for the patient if this continues.

If the POA or guardian is happy with the care the patient has been getting, believe me, they won't like the idea of having to go through the trouble and expense of moving them just b/c a$$hole PD family member has been making the staff miserable. They'll be motivated to intervene.

If the guardian or POA is a no-go, then perhaps the person who runs the care home, the patient's social worker, or the patient's doctor would also be good choices.

Maybe someone on this board with legal experience can chip in. Best of luck to your friend, and God bless her for looking out for this patient's interests.

Preamble

foobarred thank you, I think this will be very helpful to my friend, to keep careful notes.