To See Ourselves As Others See Us ~ Robert Burns

Started by Srcyu, March 08, 2023, 05:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Srcyu

How do you think others see us?

I know for a fact that I am considered to be 'posh' and a bit spoilt by some. How did they reach those conclusions about me?
The posh bit was based purely on my Christian name apparently (it's not that posh).
The spoilt label came about because my grown up family are generous towards me with their gifts.

I'm probably guilty of attaching inaccurate labels on people also. But casting my mind back to the teenage years there were definitely no envious glances in my direction. I was actually one of three girls who were scruffy, to put it mildly.

All that changed in adulthood. People my own age sometimes comment on my appearance with remarks about how they need to smarten themselves up if only they had the time. That's a sting, isn't it?
It's strange how we can hide such murky waters under a smart jumper or whatever. If only they knew ......

How do you think people see you and are they correct?

milly

NarcKiddo

I'm also considered to be posh. My name is posh, I went to a rather posh school and when I hear recordings of my speaking voice I sound posh. This always catches me by surprise as the voice I hear when speaking does not sound posh.

I think people find me rather aloof (I am very reticent) and maybe a bit snobby (I'm not). They probably think I am confident, but actually I'm not. I am quite timid and fearful but have trained myself to "feel the fear and do it anyway" and also "fake it till you make it".
Don't let the narcs get you down!

notrightinthehead

People have told me that I appear self contained, confident. I used to be the mum my own and other teenage kids called when they were in trouble. I have also been told that I appear arrogant and reserved. I have been told that I dress elegantly. Years of living with an NPDh made sure I look presentable most of the time.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Srcyu

NarcKiddo
I like, "fake it till you make it."
It's surprising the opinions people can make about others.

:sunny:

Srcyu

notrightinthehead
Looking elegant sounds lovely. Some people definitely have a problem with others dressing smartly.

I had a group of neighbours standing at my front gate once, we were discussing the power cut hitting the area and one of them began muttering about me looking " all co-ordinated". I was far more concerned about the lack of electricity!

:sunny: