sister went to rehab.

Started by fevredream, April 09, 2023, 02:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fevredream

my sister did go to rehab.  she went from Wednesday to Saturday, I guess.
I expected to much because I really thought she would last at least 5-7 days.  not 3.  She told my brother it wasn't the right fit for her.

I was mistaken in thinking it was court ordered.  instead, her probation officer/case worker told her that she thought the 30 day program was right for my sister.  and so the case worker got her a spot in the rehab.  and had told my sister she would help her get her record expunged, a job and a place to live.  now, my sister just has to get random drug tests for however long it is.  I don't see the case worker going out of her way to help her anymore.

it is so strange to me to see my sister go through the same things as her bio mother.  Her bio mother is my first cousin and we spent a lot of time together when we were kids.  my cousin was very funny and charming.  petite with a great smile and great personality.  my sister is very similar.  which probably means she is on the same path as my cousin.  two kids that have both been adopted by family members, a string of boyfriends/friends who help them until they are fed up or burned out.  multiple tries at rehab.  but my sister does not have what her bio-mom had.  which was my mom who would do anything for my cousin and then would have done anything for my sister.  it hurts so much and is such a weird deja vu at the same time.

I don't really know how to handle this.  I don't want to be on this ride anymore.  I have to guard myself against it.

bloomie

fevredream - I'm sorry this sat for a few days.

This all must be so heartbreaking for you. I wouldn't know how to handle it either, but what a good step in reaching out for support. Seeing this generational pattern in your sister, having lived through it before, has to be disappointing and so hard.

Do you have some idea of how you will guard yourself from this going forward?
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.