Great book on growing up as a scapegoat.

Started by doglady, May 16, 2023, 01:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doglady

'Growing up as the Scapegoat to Narcissist Parents: A Guide to Healing' is a wonderfully helpful book by Jay Reid, LPCC.

Dr Reid has a lived experience of being scapegoated by a narcissistic mother, and he also provides therapy for others who've been through it.

Dr Reid's explanations in the book are detailed and very clear, and he also includes many helpful case studies outlining the many and varied ways Narc parents scapegoat their children.

He talks about the three pillars of recovery, which boil down to: understanding what happened, getting distance from the narcissist, and living in defiance of the narcissist's rules.

I highly recommend this book and found it to be very validating and actionable. His YouTube channel and blog are also well worth visiting.

Srcyu

Thank you doglady,
The third rule/pillar of recovery really appeals to me. In fact, it made me smile.

Such excellent advice - living in defiance of the narcissist's rules.

I will be checking that book out.

:sunny:

Ajitakaput

That focus leaves The narc in control and furthermore, is not something that I would advise with my 15 yo daughter. I'm suspicious of that advise.

olivegirl

Dr. Reid's blogs and YouTube videos are also very therapeutic!

I also follow him on Instagram.

Dragonfly

I do like this book too. I have it on audible. I am probably a little weird but i listen as go to sleep. It feels comforting/ validating somehow.