Day 2 Waiting for the call

Started by MomInTheHouse, June 28, 2023, 08:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MomInTheHouse

M didn't get to come home yesterday. The hospital staff wanted to review her safety plan with her and she was pretty down yesterday morning. As of last night. today should be the day as long as she had a stable night and morning meeting with the psychiatrist. So, here I am waiting for the call, again. I'm a teacher and I'm known for being great with challenging students with behavioral needs but I can't even figure out parenting my own child. It is very frustrating and scary. I have all the sharp things locked up along with alcohol and meds. I've searched M's room and looked through her bathroom. All razors are pocked up. We have a few things to look forward to once I pick her up. Tomorrow she has several doctor appointments and Friday as well. I'd appreciate any coming home from the hospital advice. M has therapy tomorrow and STEPPS Monday.

Poison Ivy

I think you're doing what you need to do. You're focused on the most important duty of a parent: keeping their child safe. Make sure you have clear instructions from the health-care providers about what to do if your daughter's condition worsens when she's back home. You might want to hide the car keys. If your daughter has a smartphone, computer, or both, you might want to impose or install restrictions on her use of them. Do you have resources to order in for anything you need for the days ahead, so that you don't need to leave your home more than necessary or recommended by the health-care providers?

MomInTheHouse

Today M has a therapy appointment with her individual therapist and a follow up with her pediatrician for a med check. She is back on her pre-hospitalization meds with an increase in the mood stabilizer. The anxiety meds they tried in the hospital lowered her blood pressure too much. She does have different anxiety meds. This afternoon, she wants to go visit her tutor for a bit before her dad comes to see her. I caught M on her cell phone after bedtime last night and she accepted instructions to turn off the phone and we put that away (out of her reach). She was honest about what she was doing and responded with a yes ma'am. I know this might be a honeymoon phase but I'll take it.M has already completed a chore and is openly talking about her thoughts. So good so far.

Poison Ivy

Thanks for the update. I hope things continue to go well. You're doing great!