BIL living with NPD

Started by Just landed, June 28, 2023, 04:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just landed

Looking for advice! My BIL who is usually really charming is actually abusing my brother... I went to see my brother be called to the bar and we went out to dinner to celebrate after. BIL was feeling insecure and decided to make the evening all about him even though we were all there to celebrate my brothers success - he ranted about how my brother never would have gotten there without him and he needs him because our family didn't support him or see his strength only BIL did (that's just not true and we all said so) he then berated our whole family and ruined the whole experience - if he was a good person or had any awareness at all he would have been there to celebrate my brother with all of us - my parents are not ok with this and recognized this behaviour as abusive but seem dismissive of doing anything. I spoke with my brother and didn't straight out say you're in an abusive relationship but that I'm concerned about him. He understands - and makes up excuses unfortunately it's a very codependent situation. The problem is that because of my therapy program and speaking with my supervisor she recommends I call the adoption agency where they are currently in the process of adopting a kid and let them know that I believe that my brother is in an abusive relationship (I have witnessed at least 10 other encounters besides this that qualify as physical and emotional abusive behaviour) I think we all let this slide for too long cause our family is accepting and he has had a lot of trauma but no more excuses!  something needs to be done (but I feel equally uncomfortable with the recommendation provided AND with the possibility that they could adopt a kid that could be brought into their abusive relationship with NPS BIL :(
What to do? Any suggestions? I'm all ears - thank you!

Poison Ivy

Wow, this is very tough. I'm sorry your brother is being abused. I'm guessing you'll receive different opinions from other people, and I'm offering only my opinion and not claiming that it's the right answer or the best answer. That said, I think that the better option is to contact the adoption agency and communicate your concerns about the behaviors you've observed.

Just landed

Thanks for the advice poison ivy.
I think if other strategies don't work then I will do that as a last resort. I really don't want to as I'm worried it could isolate him further from me ... But might be my only option to save my brother and a hypothetical kid from being brought into an abusive relationship. I honestly have no idea how they're this far along in the process of adoption ( which OS through CAS) given the police reports that are probably still available from when my brother called the cops on BIL. I wish I had been more supportive of my brother back then but I was involved with my own abusive relationship with a narcissist :( oh boy. Well here is to hoping :)

Poison Ivy

I understand why that's a last resort. It would be for me, too.

Your brother and hypothetical kid are fortunate to have you in their camp.