Judaizers in Galatia

Started by SonofThunder, July 30, 2023, 08:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonofThunder

Currently listening through Galatians with Dr J.Vernon McGee on TTB. Decades past, the book of Galatians was such a freeing religious study for me. I knew nothing of PD at the time, but the legalistic and abusive compliance of my childhood home were always an open wound and therefore in my mind, but without any reasoning as to why it existed. 

Galatians countered my childhood experiences and at the same time, I saw similar compliance traits in my local church leadership, but again in the F.O.G. on personality disorders.  I was also so deeply inside the cult walls of my very difficult PD marriage as a hard-working caretaker, that I had no clue the PD cult fence of my marriage was erected by my PDw so high (and getting higher all the time) to keep me blindly within and working diligently at all times to serve her changing needs.

I never even thought of the similarity and connection of legalism in marriage to legalism in religion and Paul's strong teaching to the Galatian people who were being covertly walled-in by the Judaizers.

These Judaizers in Galatia: what was the motive behind their desiring the Galatian people to add the law back into the liberty of the gospel? Compliance? Control? Fear of abandonment by the liberty of others who may ruin their religious monopoly that protects their weaknesses?  Self-motives similar to PD's?  Bulling predators?  All of this and more? 

I think about the Galatians under the pressure of the Judaizers, and the comparison to that of living with a PD in the home and family/friend relationship circles, as well as the strong teaching of Paul.  Imo, Paul doesn't specifically state who and/or what relationship roles these Judaizers played in the lives of Galatian people. Could they have been husbands, wives, friends, family of origin who positioned themselves on the inside with the Galatian converts at first through the same target acquisition tactics as a PD?  If so, that adds a whole new level of complexity and difficulty to Pauls instruction to rid themselves of those who distort the truth. 

Throwing this post out for potential discussion. I believe that the book of Galatians may teach us something as well, regarding our strong boundary and toolbox stand for liberty in relationships and in the home. 

If anyone desires to listen to the specific episode which sparked this post, the podcast link is below.

SoT

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/thru-the-bible-on-oneplace-com/id580874786?i=1000622226252
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

Kittenkatboots

SoT - I hadn't heard of TTB until this post - thank you for sharing  :)  .

I grew up in a Pentecostal household where clothing choice and makeup was very confusing for me. Hearing Dr. McGee break down that bible teacher's comment about makeup really gave me relief. 

Just another reminder of how merciful God is and how that stuff I learned at home doesn't scrape the surface of how patient and kind God is.

SonofThunder

Quote from: Kittenkatboots on July 31, 2023, 02:06:27 AMSoT - I hadn't heard of TTB until this post - thank you for sharing  :)  .

I grew up in a Pentecostal household where clothing choice and makeup was very confusing for me. Hearing Dr. McGee break down that bible teacher's comment about makeup really gave me relief. 

Just another reminder of how merciful God is and how that stuff I learned at home doesn't scrape the surface of how patient and kind God is.

Hi Kittenkatboots,

I fully agree with you on God's mercy, patience, love and kindness. Such a contrast to the self-serving motives of truly emotionally weak/empty humans who manipulate others using a variety of control methods at their disposal.

The entire book of Galatians is liberating in that it frees us to live as God desires, not as other humans try and choose for us.  Cheers to you and sorry you were also raised in a legalistic vs balanced home. 

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

Mary

"These Judaizers in Galatia: what was the motive behind their desiring the Galatian people to add the law back into the liberty of the gospel?"

I think their motives were power, control, and jealousy. It would not surprise me at all if there were some religious leaders with PD issues in there leading the charge and controlling the message. But Christ...what relief, what liberty, what comfort! Yes, in church and at home.

Thanks for sharing,
Mary
For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. (Isaiah 54:5)