Praying the Psalms of Lament

Started by gcj07a, August 14, 2023, 05:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcj07a

In my prayers this morning (using the traditional Book of Common Prayer) this psalm was assigned for today (Psalm 71). The following verses jumped out at me as describing precisely how I am feeling right now as the target of an ongoing smear campaign. This is just an example of the extreme value I have found in the psalms of lament as I deal with how my FOO treats me.

Quote6 I am become as it were a monster unto many, *
but my sure trust is in thee.
7  O let my mouth be filled with thy praise, *
that I may sing of thy glory and honor all the day long.
8 Cast me not away in the time of age; *
forsake me not when my strength faileth me.
9  For mine enemies speak against me; *
and they that lay wait for my soul take their counsel together, saying,
10 God hath forsaken him; *
persecute him, and take him, for there is none to deliver him.
11  Go not far from me, O God; *
my God, haste thee to help me.
12 Let them be confounded and perish that are against my soul; *
let them be covered with shame and dishonor that seek to do me evil.
13  As for me, I will patiently abide alway, *
and will praise thee more and more.
"How often have I lain beneath the rain, on a strange roof, thinking of home?" -William Faulkner

SonofThunder

Hi gcj07a,

Im sorry to read you are in the throes of a smear campaign 😕

I was not familiar with The Book of Common prayer but a quick wiki lookup states:

"The Book of Common Prayer (BCP) is the name given to a number of related prayer books used in the Anglican Communion and by other Christian churches historically related to Anglicanism. The first prayer book, published in 1549 in the reign of King Edward VI of England, was a product of the English Reformation following the break with Rome. The work of 1549 was the first prayer book to include the complete forms of service for daily and Sunday worship in English."

Im always joyed to learn about history and new things. Thank you for sharing the source.

I love how this Psalm is confirming in it's understanding and also comes alongside us in camaraderie in the experiences of a smear campaign and how the writer gives it to God to deal with.  I also love the forward looking 'indifference' in the verse 13 of the text you posted, as the writer fully recognizes the smear, yet presses forward in things that really matter. 

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

Mary

I love how you found strength from this Psalm just as you needed it. To me, a touch from God like this and knowing that God understands my circumstance, is comforting, energizing, and sustaining. Thanks for sharing.

Peace to you!
Mary
For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. (Isaiah 54:5)

SeaBreeze

Thank you for sharing. In my experience, the Psalms provide some of the best verses for "praying the Scriptures". How amazing and comforting that we can relate today to emotions and situations shared 3,000 years ago.

I'm sorry you're dealing with a smear campaign and from family no less. Please take this verse especially to heart:

Quote13  As for me, I will patiently abide always

I weathered such a campaign years ago when I left my first husband. It took 2 decades, but I'm here to testify that time eventually comes out on the side of the truth. Stay strong, and keep the faith. Or -- in more secular terms and at risk of irreverentcy on the Religious board -- don't let the you-know-who's get you down.