Looking for support

Started by blooming cactus, October 11, 2023, 10:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooming cactus

Hello, I was on here before many years ago (not sure if I ever posted much), during a time when I was working through going NC with my BPD mother. I have recently become aware through therapy and life events that my MIL is pretty severely NPD. So now I am beginning to process a new narrative of accepting that I was emotionally abused by her during years when I leaned on her and believed her to be a safe person for me (in lieu of my own mother). It's painful and at the same time, a relief to name what I have known. I have been NC with MIL for a few years now ever since an enormous rage fest after my husband and I set very firm boundaries... but I just didn't realize at the time what I was dealing with, it now makes sense. I am hoping to make connections and work on my healing here as there are so many layers to my trauma I didn't realize...

Starboard Song

Oh boy, do I get that.

We faced years of escalating but low-grade hostility from my MIL, always walking on eggshells, until we had a crisis. We spent 6 months attempting communications and boundaries before declaring NC. And still we didn't really understand what we were dealing with. Probably BPD. We are now 8-years NC, and my wife will tell you she never looked back.

We made a brutally hard decision, but it was the right one.

Welcome back to the forum and I look forward to seeing you on the boards. A special note is due: the in-laws board exists because there can be special challenges and considerations when dealing with an in-law. If you and your spouse are lock-tight, like me and mine, those special issues may not apply. The point is, you should feel free to participate on the PD Parents or the PD In-Laws boards, depending on which one you are feeling at home with. Zero pressure. There are no grades.

Welcome, and good luck.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

blooming cactus

Thanks for the warm welcome and for sharing your experiences. I'm sorry you have them too. I will explore both boards. He and I are not quite lock-tight but are getting there (re: his folks). It is a lot. I appreciate this space.

bloomie

Hi blooming cactus! Welcome back. The realization that your mil is not a safe haven for you and has caused so much emotional pain is a difficult one. Especially after having gone NC with your own mother. I am so sorry that neither woman could offer the loving and reliable relationship you so deserve.

I spend most of my time over on the in laws board and look forward to seeing you there and supporting you! I know first hand how painful difficult in law relationships can be and how tricky they are to navigate.

So glad you reached out again for support!
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.