Recurrent nightmares of my uNPD ex boyfriend

Started by turnonthelight333, December 01, 2023, 10:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnonthelight333

I've been separated from my ex-boyfriend for a few weeks now. He displayed a lot of narcissistic traits, was emotionally manipulative and abusive, and was carrying on a second relationship during much of our relationship without me knowing. We've been no-contact since our breakup and I have been staying away from his photos, his social media, and as many reminders of him as possible. But I'm having a lot of trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, and I have nightmares of him coming back and me taking him back/him gaslighting me, even though I have absolutely no intention of ever being in contact with him again. I can keep my mind away from him during the day but my mind wanders to him often when I fall asleep, and if I wake up in the middle of the night, I'm immediately wide awake with racing thoughts of him. Is this something that just takes time to go away? I am trying to get rid of his influence on me and I don't want him to steal any more of my time, energy, or happiness.

escapingman

Hi Turnonthelight333,

I left uNPDxw about 1.5 years ago and have been NC/VLC since, in the beginning the nightmares where really bad. I could not go to sleep or even sleep a few hours without waking up in terror. I still dream about her every night, it's no longer as intense however and I no longer wake up in a shaken state. 

Do you see a therapist? Maybe that could help? You are doing well with holding your NC and keeping away from anything related to him, keep that up!