Looking for group support, recently diagnosed with CPTSD.

Started by Poseidon, January 10, 2024, 02:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poseidon

Hi everybody. I'm a 28yo male recently diagnosed with CPTSD.

Like many it seems, Pete Walker's Complex PTSD book has led me here in search for some group support.

My mother, who I've courageously decided to no longer have any form of contact with, is most definitely BPD and/or NPD, an alcoholic and a manic depressive. None of these are diagnosed of course, as she regards herself as faultless.

Pete Walker's book has literally revealed so much to me, and since my diagnoses I've been in the trenches reconciling my entire life.

Unfortunately, I am currently unemployed after having stopped working roughly 4 months ago due to persistent and intense emotional flashbacks which rendered me non-functional.

Been in therapy for 6 months with a trauma-focused therapist. She's marvellous and helps a lot. A combination of EMDR, IFS, and talk therapy.

I'm looking for others to engage in a degree of co-counselling & support. Preferably male, as it'd help me feel less ashamed of the societal stigma attached to men as stoic providers, etc. It seems men generally don't come forward with their issues and perhaps instead, bury it under the surface. (I certainly did, up until I physically could not...)

I'll be sure to read around and get to know some of you members. Thanks for reading.

bloomie

Poseidon - welcome. I am really glad you have found this wonderful community of fellow travelers. You are courageous! And I applaud all of the steps you are taking to reclaim your peace, pursue your healing, and surround yourself with support!  :applause:

Thank you for sharing a bit of what brings you to us. There are wonderful resources at the toolbox and traits info above, other online resource links, book recommends and such. Make good use of all of them!

The true gold to be found here is in the conversations taking place all across the boards. There is something in connecting with others who get it, who believe  us, who have valuable, hard-won insights of their own, that is unlike anything else I have ever experienced. I trust you will find respite here and encouragement for your soul.

A really important resource I wanted to share with you as well is our sister site: https://www.outofthestorm.website

Out of the Storm is a place to connect with others for the Cptsd piece of your healing if you choose, and here Out of the FOG we focus on the relational part of a loved one who has traits and behaviors that are harming us. Many of our members participate at both sites and find that a comprehensive approach to their recovering.

I look forward to seeing you out there on the boards and to supporting you!
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.