Did I do OK on this, or did I over-react from being triggered?

Started by Blueberry Pancakes, February 23, 2024, 11:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry Pancakes

Three years ago I took a new job at a different company from where I had worked for 10 years. It has been a breath of fresh air as I have not seen a recognizable PD individual in my orbit. At my old job, it seemed to be a constant rotation of one PD boss after the next followed by a new batch of PD colleagues - which is one reason I left.

For three years I have enjoyed the contrasting experience. Projects run smoother, communication is clearer, colleagues follow up as agreed, expectations are met or changes aligned in advance. Two months ago, one co-worker I work with on most projects moved to a different department so was replaced by a new hire. Things have gone sideways ever since. It only took two months.

I thought I noticed some early indicators in the first couple meetings. She was deflecting responsibilities onto others which her predecessor used to readily perform. She announced that she was not ordering a company supplied cell phone, so to not expect her to answer calls at random - which was a point one customer already complained about. I recently had a deadline to send something to a customer that depended on her supplying some data the day prior, but I never received it. I called her (she answered) and asked about it and she insisted she sent it to me. I asked her to re-send it. When she did, she then mentioned she "forgot" to include me in the "TO" line as a recipient. Her error caused extra drama and work on my side. There are other things like this, but I am just mentioning a few here.

I was feeling a very familiar sense of increasing anxiety. I felt like this coworker would cause a problem, and throw me under the bus. I work closely on the same projects so it would be easy for her to do. This is where I am uneasy. Do I react out of my anxiety, or do I keep my head down and just take notes on her behavior so I have backup in case I am framed by her? I hate feeling this way, and I feel like I am back in junior  high school with her.

I decided to tell my boss that I found her "difficult to work with". I provided the example of her lack of attention to detail and missing a deadline. Fortunately, he listened. He also mentioned that someone else who reports to him informed him of similar aspects about her, so I was not the only one. He told me this was slightly a delicate matter since he is not her direct manager, but he may raise the topic in a separate meeting and inquire if all the roles the team has are allocated to those with the proper skillset. I thanked him for listening and agreed that might be a reasonable conversation to have, but in the meantime I will keep focused on the work. I do not plan to speak of this again with anyone. 

I do not want to present myself to my boss like I am "tattletale" or juvenile. I do not want to bring drama or descension. I feel like I am not the one who brought it, but I might be the one who called it out which in itself can be an issue. Did I handle this adequately? I am feeling a bit uneasy about saying anything.

It is just odd how different it is in just two months. I am looking for internal job postings as I no longer want to work at this job that I used to like.

escapingman

You did the right thing, and with one more person reporting similar I would have thought the bosses will do something. Let's hope is is transferred or removed from her position.

Good luck!

Blueberry Pancakes

Thank you, EM. That is reassuring.

I always question whether to just stay the course and keep my head down and deal with it. I wonder how bad it might get, and if just one incident on occasion is workable and I created a fuss for nothing. I guess maybe we never know where the "brink" is until it is too late and we are already found guilty of something we never even knew happened.

It is otherwise remarkable how the presence of this one individual has altered the entire mood and momentum. It feels like a dark cloud settled, and everything is so much harder.

Thanks.

notrightinthehead

You did the right thing. I would definitely start to record every time she fails to do what is necessary and expected. Even if you never use it, file it.

It's right to start looking for something else, that's the adult thing to do. And if you tell your manager a second time, I don't think that's whining, you are giving them a chance to address a problem. Their problem if they fail to do so.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Catothecat

I also think you are taking all the right steps, Blueberry.  You worry things to go sideways because that's what would've happened at your old job, but if the environment is different at this job, why should that occur?  Remember, you're not working in isolation and others are seeing what's going on.  Also keep in mind that your employer knows what kind of employee you are, you have a solid track record.  This new person doesn't.  And if issues are already occurring since her employment, any competent management will begin to recognize it, especially if it's brought to their attention.

You aren't being a tattletale.  I've worked with people like that and they become that way because they're trying to cover up their own incompetence.  They think if they "tell" on someone else, no one will focus on them. That's certainly not what you're doing. 

Remember, this is a job. You don't have to deal with incompetence in others, especially if their performance might affect yours.  And yes, document document document.

Blueberry Pancakes

Thank you, Notright, Poison and Cat. I felt like maybe I was over-reacting, and you helped me put perspective on it. 

I know it will not be a sustainable working condition for me if she stays. If her boss talks to her but still keeps her in the same role, she will probably figure out it came from me and start shenanigans in other ways.

I also believe competent management 'should' recognize these aspects, and have ability to resolve. I suppose the way that things proceed on this aspect will be revealing.     

I am sad it came to the point where I have to get a new assignment or leave the company because I felt like finally - at long last - I found something good after years of surviving a toxic workplace elsewhere. I sort of feel like I am always being chased out by PD's.

In the meantime, I'll keep documenting. I'll keep calm. Thanks everyone.