A tiny act of rebellion

Started by Sneezy, March 02, 2024, 01:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sneezy

Just sharing a success story today.

Twenty years ago, DH and I bought our house.  For the first time ever, I had a dining room and I was so excited.  I went out and bought a table and chairs and a china cabinet, and I loved it all.  And within a few months, DH's aunt, who I refer to as Dramatic Auntie, drove into town and promptly filled up my brand new china cabinet with all her dishes and other family things.  These items were not gifts.  Rather, Dramatic Auntie instructed me that I was the caretaker of these items and I must love and cherish and use them religiously, and then pass them on to the next generation.  And I freakin' followed these ridiculous demands for twenty years.

No more.  Today, I just gave away Dramatic Auntie's treasured family china to a neighbor (who happens to love old china). When this neighbor drove away with all of that butt-ugly china in the trunk of her car, I wanted to cry, I was so happy.

I have a long way to go, but this is MY life and I get to decide what goes into my china cabinet.  No more ridiculous demands from elderly, narcissistic, nasty, self-centered relatives.  This is just a start, folks - wait until I start cleaning out the attic.  Dramatic Auntie's childhood bed is going next!

NarcKiddo

Don't let the narcs get you down!

moglow

:bouncing:

I LOVE IT!!

I've been told that md has multiple sets of china at her house, says she's "saving them for the grandchildren." Not sure what these are or where they came from but I can assure you at this point in their lives, the grands aren't all that interested in those treasures. That ship has long since sailed here too.

"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

notrightinthehead

Bravo!

I want to follow your example. Hopefully I will find the strength soon.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

sunshine702

Getting rid of things that have a horrible attachment is such a WIN- to a nice neighbor who likes it even better!!! Congrats

Rebel13

Hooray and congratulations for getting rid of "precious" things that were nothing but a burden to you.  And extra points for sending them straight to someone who really loves and appreciates them.  That is the best feeling.
"Sometimes you gotta choose what's safest and least painful for you and let other people tell the stories that they need to tell about why you did it." ~ Captain Awkward

lkdrymom

My grandmother had a unique talent....she could find the ugliest set of dishes and would buy them.  I had to either have her dishes or my mother's on display in my china cabinet for 20 years also...and both my mother and grandmother had been gone for those 20 years.  Last year I boxed everything up and put it in the basement to store. Even those butt ugly Hummels.  Finally displaying my dishes!

Sneezy

Quote from: lkdrymom on March 06, 2024, 05:53:53 PMEven those butt ugly Hummels.
This made me laugh - Hummels!  Everybody collected those back in the day, didn't they?  And if not Hummels, it was something like bells (my mom), ceramic pigs (my MIL), matchbook covers (my aunt), etc.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with collecting things if that's what you want to do.  But the part that irks me is that these NPD older relatives believe that we need to cherish and treasure their collections forever.  When I die, I fully expect my kids are going to get rid of my holiday candlestick collection and my vintage wine glasses.  We all keep things that give us joy, not things that have been foisted on us with all kinds of strings and expectations attached.