Friendships with men

Started by mary_poppins, March 08, 2024, 08:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mary_poppins

Hi all. My life's major problem after my family is the men in my life. The men in my life painted a very interesting picture to put it nicely. I met many people throughout my trips and stays abroad and so, met many men, too. I made a few friends BUT in 99% of the cases, the friends who were guys ended up telling me they love me/have a crush on me.

I just cut ties with guy friend who I thought was really cool; we had the same taste in movies, we are both writers. Until he told me he keeps dreaming about me and that he constantly misses me. That made me feel awful. I told him I don't have any feelings for him (he's much younger than me anyways and immature), he sort of understood but kept talking to me as if he 'has a chance'.

So I blocked him and moved on. I'm now reading other women's stories on how their relationships with their male friends failed because of the crushes the guys ended up having on them.

So, my conclusion is that it's hard to make a truly great male friend if you're a woman. Idk what it needs to happen for this friendship to be genuine. I have a another male friend who, not even a month ago just texted me telling me he still has a crush on me (we met in 2008, I left his country a few years ago and he's still harboring this crush??).

I'll make a list with all these guys and start cutting them off one by one. Unless the guy is into other guys, I don't see any possibility of having an innocent friendship with him.

Sorry, just needed to vent. Opinions/stories are welcome.
"There's the whole world at your feet. And who gets to see it but the birds, the stars, and the chimney sweeps." -Mary Poppins

Boat Babe

I'm sorry you are having problems with male friends Mary P. I have had numerous excellent male friends for decades. I tend to hang out with "alternative" people who are not big on the whole patriarchy thing which helps. I know some truly lovely men and the relationships have never been and will never be sexual. I hope you find some good friends of both sexes.
It gets better. It has to.

mary_poppins

Thanks, Boat Babe. I think there were red flags when I met these guys and I chose to ignore them. But I'm glad you have friendships with men that work out for you.
"There's the whole world at your feet. And who gets to see it but the birds, the stars, and the chimney sweeps." -Mary Poppins

Boat Babe

That's the key; finding out why we choose to ignore the red flags!
It gets better. It has to.