A film suggesting narcissism may be stopped by dementia

Started by NarcKiddo, March 12, 2024, 07:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarcKiddo

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/porcelain-eyes-student-short-film#/

I don't know if clicking on the site link will make their analytics think there is a sudden swell of interest. Here is some info from the site:

"Synopsis:

The journey of a mother-daughter relationship disrupted by a narcissistic mother, only to be reshaped by the unexpected onset of dementia. As the mother's narcissistic traits fade away with the progression of dementia, the daughter finds an opportunity to rebuild their connection. However, the challenge lies in forging a new bond, as the mother's personality is lost to dementia. We witness the daughter's emotional struggle to care for a mother who is no longer recognisable, and the poignant transformation from a dysfunctional past to the possibility of a newfound, albeit different, connection

Target Audience:

Anyone who has struggled with family trauma.

Our film sees this family struggle from a Young woman's perspective and delves into the relationship specifically between a mother and daughter."

I have a lot of feelings around this - none are positive.
Don't let the narcs get you down!

Rocky

It's been my experience, my mother and my mother's mother, that NPD gets worse with dementia. They get nastier. They can't navigate all the masks they wore, and it seems that they just settle on the mask that presents them as the nastiest. They're even more embarrassing any time you take them out in public.

Also when NPD parents get dementia they have trouble keeping secrets, and you learn about all the pain they caused you behind your back.

I was my grandmother's golden child. She told me that I helped her pull though when I was by her side and held her hand when she had pneumonia. I actually regret that I may have helped her live longer. That was another decade or so where she could share her nastiness with the world.

She got dementia latter, that made her nastiness worse.

moglow

I tend to believe that the personality disordered behavior doesn't change with dementia or anything other than conscientious and ongoing effort. It does kind of stand to reason though that if one forgets who one is [as well as others] with dementia, their former treatment of others may change. Wouldn't it still be just as changeable as it is now, pre-dementia? Is there some lessor of two evils I'm missing here?

My own naysaying being voiced here, but my reality of a child with personality disordered parent is that there's no "rebuilding" something that simply never existed. We learn to adapt and accept what we have, or not.

I would think at this juncture what you have is possibility forming a new relationship with a virtual stranger, in whatever form that takes for as long as it lasts. Still that fluffy feel good idea that they're somehow magically "cured".
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

sunshine702

From my lay person's perspective how would the formation of plaques in the brain STIMULATE empathy?  I just don't see it or have heard about it much.  Everyone I know has said the patient got more nasty and violent.  It may be a Hollywood idea of a medical thing-  like car crash loses baby.

It might be an interesting watch for the relationship and portrayal of Personality Disorders though.