Ego state therapy

Started by AliceWinter, March 17, 2024, 11:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AliceWinter

Hi,

I have just started therapy and my therapist suggested we try ego state therapy and perhaps also emdr. I have read some posts about emdr but not heard of anyone doing ego state therapy. Anyone who has experiences with that and would like to share?

notrightinthehead

I have had ego state therapy and it has helped me. You go into a hypnotic state and allow different aspects of your personality to express themselves. Similar to inner child work but with more contributors.
It helps when you experienced multiple traumatic events and have frozen some aspects of your personality as a result.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

AliceWinter

Good to hear it was helpful for you! May I ask how you did experience the process? I'm a bit nervous that it will be intense and that it will take me further down. I read somewhere that it is often used with people who tend to dissociate. I don't think I do that but perhaps my therapist saw something that I'm not quite aware of.

Sidney37

Did you identify different parts of your personality as shapes and colors?  If so, my old therapist tried this with me.  I had a hard time with it.

notrightinthehead

I read the Book 'Ego States, Theory and Therapy' by Watkins and Watkins before I tried it and that explained it for me.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.