Gaslighting

Started by DCF1952, April 26, 2024, 07:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCF1952

When I read some of the examples of gaslighting or other examples of emotional manipulation, I really start to question myself because so many of the examples of things a narc might say, are true of the narc's behavior. For example, being told that you're overreacting (the narc overreacts to every thing), being told you must have a selective memory (i literally sometimes wonder if he has early dementia), being told "you're too sensitive" (I've never met anyone who can take a neutral comment and spin it into a perceived attack in the way that a narcissist can.)

So I'll read articles or see reels about these behaviors and I just don't know how to process this.

Rebel13

Isn't there some quote like "every accusation from a narcissist is actually a confession"?  LOL
"Sometimes you gotta choose what's safest and least painful for you and let other people tell the stories that they need to tell about why you did it." ~ Captain Awkward

sunshine702

The biggest thing is DON'T BELIEVE it.  Even a tiny bit.  That is the insidious nature that over time makes you feel literally insane.  Call it out to us or to yourself - don't bother with the PD disorder they don't give a fig what you believe but don't let the lie settle in your brain

DCF1952

Quote from: Rebel13 on April 26, 2024, 08:03:33 PMIsn't there some quote like "every accusation from a narcissist is actually a confession"?  LOL

This is incredible. And feels so accurate.

Tryingtounderstand

The subtleties oh the subtleties. Just under the radar to plant seeds of doubt. Its even worse when you love someone and don't want believe what is happening and not label that person.