"Toxic In-Laws: Loving Strategies for Protecting Your Marriage" By Susan Forward

Started by frustrated, January 13, 2014, 03:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frustrated

Thanks to this site and book recommendations, I am loaning a book called Toxic Inlaws/Toxic Parents and Bullies in the work.

Has anyone read these books?

Tinkerbell59

I have read "Toxic People" by Dr. Lillian Glass. I'm not sure if this is the same author.

Pepin

I am reading this book right now.  W O W.

I have read MANY books but this one is amazing.  I am only about two thirds of the way through and there are things I did not think of before nor have any therapists suggested them to me to retrain my thought process.  Just WOW.  Puts a better perspective on my marriage and instills more of the hope that I have been clinging to.  Will provide a bit more when I finish the book.

djcleo

Quote from: Pepin on April 27, 2016, 05:00:47 PM
I am reading this book right now.  W O W.

I have read MANY books but this one is amazing.  I am only about two thirds of the way through and there are things I did not think of before nor have any therapists suggested them to me to retrain my thought process.  Just WOW.  Puts a better perspective on my marriage and instills more of the hope that I have been clinging to.  Will provide a bit more when I finish the book.

I'm reading the part in the beginning where it says that once you get married, the engulfers see you as having signed up for total involvement with them. I'd say that the marriage looming made my PD MIL absolutely controlling and engulfing. My PD MIL - at a certain point in wedding planning - wanted everything her way but in true narcissistic fashion, expected us to just KNOW what that was and just to go ahead and do it.

Is this really what happens? They just think that because you're getting married that you've just signed up to be their pet?