Why keep lying if no remorse?

Started by LaugVich, November 23, 2021, 05:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaugVich

Hi

uASPD wife keeps lying about her adultery. Which find odd in this respect,  hurtful in all others, in that as she has no empathy for my devastating pain and thus no guilt for her actions why does she feel the need to go on and on lying?

Why not just be blunt and honest? It doesn't hurt her to be truthful if there is no guilt. Surely?

Or is she still lying as this is her childhood learnt behaviour? Even though it no longer makes sense?

Can understand ongoing deceit about infidelity I don't know but on the affairs and ONSs that I do why the failure to be frank?

Is it then because there is a whole lot more that I don't know...?!?! Haha

Poison Ivy

I think some people just enjoy lying.

square

ASPD may have no empathy but they know what the "rules" are. One of the rules is "don't cheat."

Breaking the rules and hurting others may be of no concern to them, but admitting it can lead to consequences. They don't want to pay consequences.

Consequences could include someone (not you, in this case) trusting their narrative less and therefore being less easily manipulated, a divorce settlement that isn't ideal for them, difficulty being promoted at work, and so on.

Also, they really enjoy the power of winning, which includes things like getting away with things or messing with your mind.

"Honest" and "frank" don't have any benefit to the ASPD.

olivegirl

I feel like my uBpd mother has a certain level of contempt for me and that she lies to hurt me.

And then she gets to play the "how dare you call me a liar" afterwards. 

Lots of chaos and drama that way.

Cat of the Canals

Quote from: square on November 23, 2021, 05:58:43 PM
ASPD may have no empathy but they know what the "rules" are. One of the rules is "don't cheat."

Breaking the rules and hurting others may be of no concern to them, but admitting it can lead to consequences. They don't want to pay consequences.

This. It's like a criminal getting caught red-handed, on video, and still trying to deny they did it. Happens all the time.