Immaturity

Started by sunshine702, January 05, 2024, 09:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine702

I honestly was a bit taken back at the immaturity dripping from my Narc mom's lips recently.  A heavier set woman walked into her store and the seething judgement to me about the size of her butt.  It was like I was talking to a 16 year old mean girl.  Not a nearly 80 year old woman who owns a store that is open to the public.  She mentally is a teen STILL.  She took a PICTURE of the woman's butt wand was "trying to send it to me"

I had a realization once many years ago.  She would talk endlessly about Golden Grandchild H.  I realized she saw herself as H.  It was a real lightbulb.

This was a moment where I really finally got what I am dealing with.  You forget - the body and experiences are 80 - mentally healthy people are focused on legacy and proud of the lineage.  She is 16 in her brain and it shows.

Catothecat

That's my mom, Sunshine!  She's always been a self-focused narc and has almost no tolerance for people who aren't "like her."  She believes (or did, as she's now suffering from dementia) that she was always right and just and perfect, and everyone else had to measure up.  If they didn't, she didn't like them or would talk about them as if they were inferiors.  Needless to say, she had no friends as no one was good enough for her.

Immature teenage mindset describes her well, except I've actually known teenagers and was one myself, once, who weren't as bad as she has been throughout her life.  It's as if she took on the worst aspects of the immature teenager and hung on to them.  She was a "mean girl" long before the term was invented.

NarcKiddo

Oh boy, this resonates! Mine is sometimes the mean teen, and quite often a toddler. It's very wearing.
Don't let the narcs get you down!

moglow

Been there done it, Sunshine. Only I pegged mine as maybe 13 tops, prepubescent where the whole world revolves around and is only concerned with her. And by extension thinks like her. By 15-16 group-think and peer pressure are more important and mother isn't about all that. 

Mother never gives a compliment where an insult can be located. Maybe a back handed compliment,with an insult in the end. She used to tell us, if you can't say anything nice it's best to say nothing at all. Only she didn't practice what she preached, in fact went the opposite - when she couldn't see criticism or insult she'd clam up. 

I could totally see her doing what yours did, and laughing about it.
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Spyglass

I couldn't give you a guess on my mother's mental age, but a mean girl teenager (at the oldest) in an adult's body feels pretty on the mark. Not just emotionally, but also in general life skills?

sunshine702

Life skills of a teen- yeah sort of.  My Scapegoat Brother and I regularly talk about "her never being dropped on her butt" - most of us get humbled when we get fired from a job, have gone through a painful divorce.  Have our assets worth a lot less due to the mortgage mess.   Through no fault of your own you lose a battle of life.  It's humbling - you are softer to others.  Well they move at such a snails pace and are never wrong that that has never happened to them so everything is perfect perfect perfect.  So yeah.  Gross
Fat people.  Could she be on steroids for a health problem mom?  Zero insight. 

olivegirl

That callousness, to me, reveals just how bitter my Bpd Queen/Witch is with her life.

I know she thinks she is tough and edgy by behaving like this.

I think she looks weak because she is expressing how much she needs to tear people down to feel superior.

That negativity and mean-spirit ness is one reason why I went to NC. 

Cat of the Canals

I don't think PDmil matured much past 6 or 7, and sometimes she's straight toddler. "I WANT!" and "IT'S NOT FAIR!"

PDmom is a touch more mature --  tweens or maybe a little older. Something about her version of "cool rebelliousness" is what I imagine a 13yo does when they're trying to emulate a 16yo. She was all giddy once telling me about how she'd seen one of my old high school teachers, and she'd "definitely had work done!" (i.e. plastic surgery.) I was like, "And?" Why does she think I'd care about that?