Delusions

Started by 11JB68, May 25, 2019, 10:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11JB68

Are there delusions that are not necessarily paranoid?
UOCPDH has exhibited some delusional thought processes, especially around not dealing with reality, thinking things will magically resolve etc.
Then a couple weeks ago I posted about him looking in his full closetand thinking I hadn't done laundry (?)
He seems to maybe have an ongoing delusion about popsicles (they taste different even though they are the same)
I'm not sure if he is trying to gaslight me...it seems like he really believes this stuff.

Andeza

That... that sounds more like magical thinking/psychosis. Which I would assume would go hand in hand with OCPD? Big assumption though. Psychosis by definition does not have to involve paranoia, but is rather worrisome without any help from other issues.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Latchkey

Quote from: 11JB68 on May 25, 2019, 10:02:16 PM
Are there delusions that are not necessarily paranoid?
UOCPDH has exhibited some delusional thought processes, especially around not dealing with reality, thinking things will magically resolve etc.
Then a couple weeks ago I posted about him looking in his full closetand thinking I hadn't done laundry (?)
He seems to maybe have an ongoing delusion about popsicles (they taste different even though they are the same)
I'm not sure if he is trying to gaslight me...it seems like he really believes this stuff.

Yes, Borderline Personality Disorder was named that because the person suffering from it was on the borderline between neurosis and psychosis.
There may be times where someone is disassociating and is not really experiencing reality as someone more in a stable frame of mind might.
So, yes, my experience is that people, PD or not, believe their reality even if it really is a delusion.
Oftentimes too, the person with PD believes the reality and then may use it to gaslight which adds a layer of complexity that if you were to try to tease out would be difficult.
At this point, unless I am dealing with someone actively psychotic and a danger to themselves or others, I tend to figure if they are saying it, they believe it. If they are lying or gaslighting, they want me to believe it. It's up to me to decide how I want to respond and if needed, contradict their truth so to speak.

Hope this helps, I'm sorry you are dealing with this and I'd say basically it's best to pick your battles if you want to challenge these delusions.

What is your plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
-
I can be changed by what happens to me but I refuse to be reduced by it.
-Maya Angelou
-
When we have the courage to do what we need to do, we unleash mighty forces that come to our aid.