Sad it's over but glad

Started by Associate of Daniel, September 03, 2022, 04:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Associate of Daniel

Ds15 played his last game today.  He's decided not to continue with his weekly team sport as it's hard to fit it in with school, work, travelling between houses and seeing friends.

The team made it to the semi finals but lost after a tight game.

I've loved watching him play over the years but it's always been with a knot in my stomach - on the drive there and during the games.  Always wondering if his uNPD smother would accost me in some way, always strategising how to stay out of her eyeline and earshot. 

Thankfully I managed to escape today without any interaction. So hopefully I won't see her or my uNPD exH for a long time.

I'm sad that this stage of my boy's life is now over.  But oh so glad at the same time.  I guess it's one of the complexities of "co parenting" with uNPDs.

AOD

Stepping lightly

Hi AoD,

I totally get that feeling.  I feel like so much of what should have been enjoyment of my step kids childhood was overshadowed by panic and anxiety over what BM would do next.  Now that they are working their way through HS and thinking about college, you realize how fast it all went.  We couldn't have changed anything, and our emotions were valid based on the situations we were in, but it is just unfortunate to understand the impact and destruction PD behaviors have on all of those around them.  I always envied those carefree parents at sport games, while I was shaking with anxiety and DH was overly vigilant not to get bombarded by BM or her BF.