Change of schools

Started by sonto92, March 25, 2019, 09:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonto92

i have been weighing in on my situation with my 15 y/o who has been struggling with school.  He decided to stay at my BPDx's house back in July (still have joint legal/physical custody - this hasn't been changed) and it has been a train wreck at school - failing his classes - badly.  Just mentioning this to try to put events into perspective from last week. 
I get a message from his mom saying there is an open house for this alternative school and the meeting is tonight.  BPDx tells me in the message that a counselor at his current school has given our son the OK to switch schools, that this will be a good fit for him.  I can't attend the meeting that night, and I follow up with this counselor at school 2 days later in his office.  The counselor tells me the exact opposite of what my BPDx told me in the message - says the school is not a good fit for him and is set up for kids that are doing far worse academically than he is currently. 
I send an email to the admissions office of this new school to find out if our son was registered at this open house and he was - he will be starting at this new school April 1.  I was not involved in this process at all.  It sounds like my son wants to go to this school because he knows somebody there and he doesn't want to do homework (this is what my BPDx told the counselor at school).  So ... my dilemma is I could put my foot down and say no.  We have a mediation requirement in our stipulated order that requires us to do mediation before heading to court.  I have exhausted all of my resources for legal fees and will be pro se moving forward.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Associate of Daniel

Sonto92,  I'm so sorry. I am in a similar situation, although not as bad, I think.

Is it legal, where you are, for a school to enrol a student with the permission of just one parent?

In my country it's not.

Perhaps you can take the court orders to the new school and show them that you have joint custody.

Could the counsellor at the current school speak to the new school and let them know it is not a good fit for your son?

This might though, unfortunately, be a case to just stand back and watch your son fall to rock bottom and be there to help pick up the pieces.

As a parent, I just die inside to say that. I'm sorry.

AOD

sonto92

Associate - it is not legal for my BPDx to enroll my son without my permission.  I have to contact the school and if they are are on the same calendar that I am on (I'm a teacher) they are probably on spring break right now (we will be back in school April 1 - the day that he is supposed to start at this new school). 

Associate of Daniel

Ah. The principal and admin staff may work during the break.

It can't hurt, I guess, to try contacting them each day until April 1st.

What a mess.  And the school should not have enrolled him without your consent. They should have known that.

Grrr.

AOD