Learning that "nothing I can do justifies someone treating me poorly"

Started by EntWife, May 08, 2019, 08:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EntWife

I'm just now realizing that when I'm upset with someone I'm terrified she/he will do something un-fixable to our relationship. And I'm realizing it's because of experiences like the first time I caught my sociopath soon-to-be-stalker ex-BF cheating his exact reaction was, "you got upset with me before I did it so I didn't think you'd mind." I know it's also been perpetuated by friends/relatives who were having a hard time and, because of that, felt justified in treating everyone around them (including me) poorly.

I'm working hard to undo this ridiculous idea. Because no matter WHAT I do it DOESN'T justify someone treating me poorly! And, really, anyone who treats me poorly is better as an ex (ex-BF, ex-BFF, ex-sister-I-never-had, etc.).
"Boundaries ensure that the consequences of a person's actions land squarely on his/her shoulders." -(I wish I knew who originally wrote/said this!)

coyote

ZW this can be a difficult but empowering realization. Have you ever read The Four Agreements book. It helped me understand a lot of why others act the way they do and gave me some practical ways of deflecting attacks by others.
How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
Wayne Dyer

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?
Capt. Jack Sparrow

Choose not to be harmed and you won't feel harmed. Don't feel harmed and you haven't been. -Marcus Aurelius

athene1399

One of the best things I learned was that just because I can't control my emotions doesn't mean I can't control my behaviors or reactions to those emotions. Same for everyone else. The "sorry I was a jerk to you, I was having a bad day," doesn't hold much weight with me anymore. And for so long I thought I deserved to be treated like crap. No one deserves to be treated like crap. It took me a long time to figure this out. I'm glad you are realizing this, too! :)