"Healing The Child Within..." By Charles L. Whitfield M.D.

Started by bexem, December 26, 2012, 07:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bexem

This book, Healing The Child Within, was HUGE for me. The subtitle is "Discovery and recovery for adult children of dysfunctional families."
This is a very quick read and yet very informative offering much guidance from doctors who have studied dysfunction for some 20+ years. It has been republished many times with updated information. When the research began, family "business" was still a very sensitive subject and centered on family members/children of alcholics. Over the years, it evolved into so much more. There are great illustrations of how the abuse and emotional cycle works for people who are suffering from a PD themselves and for those suffering with them. I'm a visual learner, so I liked that. It helped me to begin to feel compassion for the person suffering from the ill that afflicts those around them, which is something I needed to be able to work on for my own healing process. To understand how people can be this way, and the answer is that "hurt people, hurt people who hurt people".

IF YOU GREW UP WITH A PD PARENT, THIS IS A MUST READ.

Publisher: Health Communications, Inc. of Deerfield Beach, Florida
ISBN-13 paperback: 978-0-9321-9440-4
ISBN-13 e-book: 978-0-7573-9757-8

mynewstart

This book is among my book treasures pile - a keeper. I like Whitfield's style very much. And he provides a lot of coverage.
Shall we talk?

momnthefog

Book is by Charles L Whitfield...got it used so it's an older edition.

Discovery and recovery for adult children of dysfunctional families.

Going through it now, finding it easier to digest than Complex PTSD by Walker as it is a shorter book.

Anyone else read this book?  What did you think?

momnthefog
"She made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible.  She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like a pair of wings."

Summer Sun

Momnthefog, I read this a few years back and found it quite helpful.  If I recall, there was a workbook too its exercised which guided the processing of  losses, traumas?  Yes, an easy style of dealing with complex stuff!

Summer Sun
"The opposite of Love is not Hate, it's Indifference" - Elie Wiesel