"Start Where You Are" by Pema Chodron

Started by shirleyjean, January 29, 2013, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shirleyjean

I have been in a book study for the past 6 weeks with this book.  I am pretty sure it is changing my life. If any of you are Pema fans, then I need say no more.  This is a difficult book to get through, the terms and ideas are difficult, but easy to understand.  I am not a 'good' meditator, but coincidentally, I had signed up for a weekend-long meditation-for-beginners class, right in the middle of this book. I am finding the book very helpful in getting through all this drama in my life!!!!

musiclover

Hi,
I haven't read this one of Pema Chodren's books that I can remember, but I've read two others and they were great. It's been a few years but I remember what she said about our fear of feeling pain. I remember her writing that instead of running away from pain, to lean into it and feel it. That we know we can survive feeling emotional pain. Learning that was a lot for me.
I don't know if you are on Facebook, but she is and you can like her page. I get updates from her regularly. I think it would be something to visit the Abbey where she is in Canada and listen to her speak.
I was surprised to read that she had been married and has children. I think having had that experience probably adds to a person's wisdom

Klarity Belle

Thanks shirleyjean and musiclover for sharing more about the wisdom of Pema Chodren's writings, I am making a reading list for my next Amazon order and have put this on it and 'Places that scare you' reviewed here by Frankie.  I feel I am ready to read Pema now though she is someone I have been hearing about for several years now.  :yes:

I look forward to sharing some thoughts once I have read this book.  :yes:

moglow

Thanks for the recommendations - just got this one for my kindle!  Sorry it took me so long to add it to our library but it's been one of those weeks.

"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Frankie

I'm so delighted this forum is going strong :applause:

Pema is the kind of author I read slowly and think about, then I try to ingest her wisdom.
It is life-changing!