"I Am Not Sick, I Don't Need Help!" by Dr. Xavier Amador

Started by Latchkey, December 27, 2013, 11:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latchkey

I Am Not Sick, I Don't Need Help! How to Help Someone with Mental Illness Accept Treatment. 10th Anniversary Edition.

by: Xavier Amador

Publication Date: October 19, 2011
ISBN-10: 0967718937
ISBN-13: 978-0967718934
Edition: 10th Anniversary Edition

Book Description from Amazon

'This book fills a tremendous void...' wrote E. Fuller Torrey, M.D., about the first edition of I AM NOT SICK, I Don't Need Help! Ten years later, it still does. Dr. Amador's research on poor insight was inspired by his attempts to help his brother Henry, who developed schizophrenia, accept treatment. Like tens of millions of others diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, Henry did not believe he was ill. In this latest edition, 6 new chapters have been added, new research on anosognosia (lack of insight) is presented and new advice, relying on lessons learned from thousands of LEAP seminar participants, is given to help readers quickly and effectively use Dr. Amador's method for helping someone accept treatment. I AM NOT SICK, I Don't Need Help! is not just a reference for mental health practitioners or law enforcement professionals. It is a must-read guide for family members whose loved ones are battling mental illness. Read and learn as have hundreds of thousands of others...to LEAP-Listen, Empathize, Agree, and Partner-and help your patients and loved ones accept the treatment they need. 

Review:

Many here come asking how to get a loved one with a PD to accept treatment. Since anosognosia (lack of insight) is really common in people with PDs, this can be very difficult. This book offers very good reasons why mentally ill people do not see themselves as sick or needing help the same way those around them do.

I read this book last year when I was dealing with a psychotic son and it changed the way I talk with people and especially about people who are mentally ill and can not recognize it.

The concepts of the LEAP method are simple but powerful. They take practice and they also offer an excellent way of dealing with psychotic behavior and delusions that people w/PDs and others sometimes manifest.

I highly recommend this for anyone struggling with trying to get a loved one into treatment, or just wanting to gain some new tools for the future. It may not solve the problems you are experiencing but it will help you understand why so many mentally ill refuse help.

Latchkey
What is your plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
-
I can be changed by what happens to me but I refuse to be reduced by it.
-Maya Angelou
-
When we have the courage to do what we need to do, we unleash mighty forces that come to our aid.

Shell92127

I recently came across this book and really liked it. I especially liked the "LEAP" process.

here is some info on the LEAP process :

Dr. Amador is the founder of the LEAP Institute, which is based on his research, personal-life and professional expereince as a therapist. LEAP teaches the importance of strong relationships in everything from treating illness, to healthy couples, to effective business practices.
LEAP ("Listen-Empathize-Agree-Partner") shows you how to quickly gain the trust of someone you are at odds with. When you Listen–Empathize–Agree–Partner, you stop trying to convince the other person he is wrong, or simply misguided and instead listen in a new way that conveys respect for the person's point of view and complete lack of judgment. Sounds easy, but most people have a very hard time doing this simple thing. It is easy, once you learn LEAP. And the result is an immediate lowering of tension, anger and defensiveness. As you convey genuine understanding, empathy and respect for someone's point of view, even when you disagree with it, you are free to find common ground on which you can partner. And suddenly, your opinions and advice start to matter a great deal.
LEAP focuses on transforming the relationship first. You do not win on the strength of your argument; you win on the strength of your relationship. With LEAP, your opinions are no longer like a lot of hot air and are more like the wind in a sailboat's sails that moves the person where you want him—to safe harbors.