"The Drama of the Gifted Child" by Alice Miller

Started by AshleyAnn, August 25, 2014, 10:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AshleyAnn

I'm sure this book has already been reviewed on here since it seems like a pretty popular one, but I thought I would add my 2 cents. I was looking forward to reading this book because I'd heard a lot about it, but I was honestly a little disappointed. I think this book was geared more towards people who didn't realize that they'd had an abusive childhood. It's very big on facing your past and realizing that how you were treated was wrong and feeling righteous anger. For me though, I already knew I had an abusive past and I've been angry for years. It doesn't really say where to go once you've gotten to the center of your feelings about your childhood, which is where I am and have been perpetually stuck. Not a bad book, just probably not the right one for me.

Toby

I found the book in audio and wanted to thank you for placing it in the list. Because you took the time, I remembered.

The content was well vocalized, exquisitely written and catalyzed a transitional shift for myself with respect to FOO and the dynamics of Narcissistic enforced mirroring. Although much of the content may be familiar to those of us whom have searched for answers, it is apparent that this woman pioneered much of those thoughts among the conscious stream.

The piece of cake for me was when I connected the dots from my current partner to that of my mother. As the author does delve within her professional monocular of terminology, I gained at least a few sessions worth of therapy.