"The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming..."

Started by Celia, July 28, 2015, 03:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celia

"The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Syndrome" by Mary Beth Williams and Soili Poijula (published by New Harbinger, 2002, ISBN-10 1-57224-282-5) is quite unique and tremendously helpful. The book offers a brief theoretical overview of both PTSD and Complex PTSD, explains how to stay safe while doing the work, and contains a wealth (seriously!) of useful and very detailed advice on how to cope with the numerous physical and emotional symptoms associated with (Complex and General) PTSD. The book explains how trauma impacts how you view yourself, looks at how you can deal with perpetrators, and describes alterations in your relationships with others. As notes above, I found the book unique in so far as it is extremely detailed. It offers numerous useful techniques that can help when it comes to dealing with stress, sleeplessness etc. I bought the book a few years ago, when I was in therapy, and did a number of the exercises. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn to live better and healthier and needs strategies to cope with and recover from PTSD.