"The Sons of the Dragon King" - children's book

Started by practical, March 21, 2017, 08:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

practical

The Sons of the Dragon King by Ed Young

In this is a children's book a father, the Dragon King, learns to appreciate each of his nine sons for who they are, so I thought this might be helpful to teach children about their intrinsic value, versus having to fit the preconceptions, or needs of a parent.

The Dragon King sends his sons to different parts of his kingdom, but reports come back how his sons aren't behaving appropriately. So he goes out to see them, and is at first dismayed, but then learns about who is his sons are and helps them to fulfill their potential. Here is one example:

"The Dragons King's sixth son, Ba-Sha, lived fairly close to Tao-Tieh, so the King decided to visit him before returning home. On his way, he heard someone splashing in the Great River. As he drew nearer, as he drew nearer he saw that it was his own son frolicking in the water, spraying streams of it from his mouth. The king was shocked. What could he make of such a son? He called to Ba-Sha, who swam so swiftly to him that the king was surprised. He hadn't known his son was such a strong swimmer. That mdd him think. Perhaps such a good swimmer would do well seeing to the safety of those who used the kingdom's rivers and lakes. Ba-Sha splashed water right onto his father in delight when told of the plan. And ever since, Ba-Sha has perched on bides crossing the country's waters, vigilantly watching over those who pass by in their boats."
If I'm not towards myself, who is towards myself? And when I'm only towards myself, what am I? And if not now, when?" (Rabbi Hillel)

"I can forgive, but I cannot afford to forget." (Moglow)