"Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us!"

Started by Thorman, April 27, 2017, 07:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorman

This is a Dark book. I couldn't listen to the audio for too long because it literally "scared the s*** out of me. So i took it back to the Library and checked out the print version.

Basically, a psychopath is someone is totally focused on getting what they want without concern or fear of the consequences or who they hurt in the process. They can be violent criminals or simply be so crafty that they haven't been caught yet. They can hold white collar jobs and operate on the level until they see something they want, then all bets are off. They can be charming, charismatic and "fool" even the best professionals (like judges, lawyers, dr's, etc) into believing their "lies and whimsical tails."-----they are dangerous to have around and be friends with. THE HARD part, is identifying them. The book implies that they are all around us, and don't even realize it. I suspect my brother is a psychopath, who hasn't been caught (he's not a killer to my knowledge) but he has no boundaries and no scruples when it comes to $. He would sell his mother a bridge in the Keys if he thought he could get away with it.

SUMMARY: The book is very good. What i learned is that Psychopaths are Malignant Narcissists on Steroids. Most of them , you'll be able to spot easily, but many "you won't." Some of them are in your own family.

Something happened to the psychopath when he was young...didn't get his needs met and the only success he's found in life is being super aggressive (covertly or not).

ONE of the great things that the author does is "he pulls no punches" when dealing with these types of people. You can't trust a word they say. Don't take their opinions, listen to their advice, work with them or associate with them in any way shape or form. Once you've identified them by their actions, stay away. They are dangerous to society and even when in prison, are a danger to the prison population. Be Careful who you hang with and who you trust.

~T

Siren73

Thor, would you recommend this book for trauma survivors? I am hosting a support group for partners coming out of pathological love relationships and want to read excerpts from a few books for the next few meetings, and this was one I as looking into buying. I don't want to trigger anyone, but the goal is to help us avoid future relationships like these. It was this one, "Psychopath Free," or "Betrayal Bonds."

Thorman

Quote from: Siren on May 08, 2017, 08:59:21 PM
Thor, would you recommend this book for trauma survivors? I am hosting a support group for partners coming out of pathological love relationships and want to read excerpts from a few books for the next few meetings, and this was one I as looking into buying. I don't want to trigger anyone, but the goal is to help us avoid future relationships like these. It was this one, "Psychopath Free," or "Betrayal Bonds."

No Way. Do not let trauma survivors read this book until they've advanced far into recovery. The Title means what it says "Disturbing!"

Betrayal Bond is a much better book from a Therapy point of view (it would make for much better discussion too). Psychopaths reads more like a Stephen King Novel. In the end, Psychopaths came to disturbing conclusion based on interviews with dozens of Psych. professionals that "there literally is no hope for someone who is a Psychopath" (even prison does not stop a true Psychopath, because they perpetuate their Malignancy in Prison as well).

Betrayal Bond is a more definitive book on the how's and why's of Codependents and their relationships with Malignant Narcissists. BB is a much inspiring book where Psychopaths is a straight ahead disturbing truth teller with no real solution, other than the final advice of ; Stay the Hell away from a Psychopath (the trick is to recognize them).

~T

Siren73

Thank you. Good to know, and I'm glad I asked. Duh, I should have known "Disturbing" good point! I will go with Betrayal Bonds. I didn't even know that it discussed the role codependency plays!