"Anger: Handling a powerful emotion in a healthy way" by Gary Chapman

Started by all4peace, June 09, 2018, 09:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

all4peace

I love Gary Chapman's books--he also wrote the 5 Love Languages books. My T recommended this book on anger. In my life, most of my anger has been shoved down, back deep inside of me, where it could do untold damage and harm.

This book is so incredibly practical and useful for anyone whose life did NOT teach them the need for anger, its uses, when it goes wrong, how to look at it, how to deal with it, what not to do with it. It has a Christian perspective, which for me was very necessary as one sometimes mistaught part of Christianity is that anger is bad. The author reminds us clearly of the bible's clear descriptions of both God and Jesus' anger, and how they were directly related to their love for others.

The chapter titles are:
Where does anger come from?
When anger can do good
When you're angry for good reason
When anger is wrong
How to handle "bad" anger
Explosions and implosions
The anger that lasts for years
What about forgiveness?
When you are angry at your spouse
Helping children handle anger
When you are angry at God
"I'm angry at myself"
Confronting an angry person

There are lots of therapy session examples and case studies to help make the theoretical more practical.

I'm only to the 6th chapter but would already heartily recommend this book to anyone who thinks they may need help in understanding the purpose and management of anger. I wish I had found this book 25 years ago.

Frozen34

This sounds like a great book. I have a LOT of anger towards family members. I'm working with a T but can always need more help. How much of the book is based on Christian scripture?