Howard's End

Started by Associate of Daniel, February 22, 2020, 06:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Associate of Daniel

I'm trying to read more classic novels this year.  The one I'm currently reading is Howard's End.

I'm really struggling with the main characters of Margaret and her fiance/husband Henry Wilcox.

He conmes across to me as a pd - alternating between waif and pompous git.

She seems to see all the red flags and believes she can change him.

I'm really struggling to like either character.

If anyone here has read the book, or even seen the film or series, am I misinterpreting?

There are some lovely, humorous moments and some interesting historical narrative.  But I'm interested in hearing anyone else's opinion.

AOD

11JB68

I've never read this. Thx for the suggestion, always looking for a good book. Maybe I'll try it and we can chat about it.

SparkStillLit

I'm just tickled with "Henry Wilcox", I knew someone of that name. Just like how we all struggle with...is it The Crucible or The Scarlet Letter....because a main character has the name of a (lovely) family member.
All the same, like 11JB I like to get new books on my list.

11JB68

Looked for this at the used bookstore, couldn't find it. Will keep looking

Associate of Daniel

There are a couple of BBC tv series of it.  One with Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins. I haven't seen it.

I finished the book and wanted to throw it across the room.  But I'm glad I read it, nontheless.

AOD

11JB68

I just downloaded to my Kindle, started it last night

Associate of Daniel

I hope you enjoy the writing, if not the characters!

I've discovered on youtube that Jennifer Ehles (Elizabeth Bennet in BBC's production of Pride and Prejudice, with Colin Firth) is making daily videos of herself reading Pride and Prejudice during Covid.

Such a treat!

No production, certainly not perfect. (She's sitting in her car with her dog for some of them!)

Just delightful.

AOD

11JB68

So far enjoying the writing, not far enough in to know the characters yet.
The version I bought so includes room with a view... Anyone read that one?

doingoveroroverdoing

The original movie with Vanessa Redgrave & Emma Thompson is streaming on Netflix right now. No idea how faithful it is to the book, and it's long, but I liked the movie. I think it'd be worth watching. And I'm curious if the portrayals would alter your assessment of the characters.

There's PD stuff galore. But you also see strong character traits. It's beautiful to look at, but isn't too much. Like some movies or shows that feel like they exist to be a period piece—plot & characters aren't half as compelling as the costumes.

I never wanted to read the book, but now I think I will. So glad you posted.

I saw room with a view years & years ago. I was still young, innocent. I loved it. I've been reluctant to see it again bec I don't want to erase that elation.