Book suggestion?

Started by 11JB68, April 08, 2020, 09:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11JB68

I've won an Amazon gift card. Buying some ebooks. I can probably only get one self help book. Leaning towards Evans' Controlling People. Wondering, if I have to pick one... What do you all recommend?

notrightinthehead

What aspect of yourself do you want to work on? What part of yourself would benefit most from strengthening? Which part of yourself do you think contributes most to keeping you in a situation you have outgrown?
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

11JB68

To stop being enabling or codependent or whatever you'd call it...
I guess to learn how to set boundaries.

Stillirise

I found this book helpful.  I saw it recommended by someone else here.  It helped me establish boundaries, and examine what behaviors I could modify to help myself. 

Stop Caretaking the Borderline Or Narcissist: How to End the Drama and Get on with Life, by Margalis Fjelstad
You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.
—Maya Angelou

11JB68

Thx I think I read that one a while so and should probably read it again.
Reading the verbally abusive relationship, something about controlling perfectionists, and also picked up Evans' Controlling People

rubixcube

Quote from: Stillirise on April 22, 2020, 08:28:25 AM
Stop Caretaking the Borderline Or Narcissist: How to End the Drama and Get on with Life, by Margalis Fjelstad
Excellent book! I could use a re-read myself. Fjelstad really gets it, and delivers her message very clearly.

rubixcube

Congrats on the win, 11JB68!

Quote from: notrightinthehead on April 09, 2020, 12:46:12 AM
What aspect of yourself do you want to work on? What part of yourself would benefit most from strengthening? Which part of yourself do you think contributes most to keeping you in a situation you have outgrown?
:yeahthat:

This illustrates what I've been realizing... I need to stop focusing on my uCovertNPDw(except for moments where I need some validation again) and I need to focus more on myself and healing my codependence, learning healthy assertiveness, and establishing boundaries. Thanks for the reminder!