Started by BestLife08, November 20, 2020, 08:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BestLife08

Hi, I'm new to this site... I've spent a bit of time here this evening and it looks very thorough and well planned... my thanks to everyone who contributes and participates.

I was abused from childhood by a N father, which continues to this day although I've gone no contact with few exceptions.  I'm also single and isolated from my siblings as they've been programmed by my father and are more or less his psychological clones, so I have virtually no support as this isn't really a topic most friends can understand or address.

I learned of NPD and cPTSD about three years ago via a chance YT video... very eye opening to say the least.  After a fairly significant amount of time looking into this, I think I understand the disorders pretty well and don't feel a need to spend much more time on the details.  What I need to do now is move past the abuse by eliminating the negative voices and creating a positive program. I've seen/read a number of strategies, but am curious what you all might have found to be helpful with this. As is probably common, I have a hard time staying with things because depression makes it very difficult to keep focused and do hard work, so even small jolts of positivity to get things moving in a better direction and build momentum would be very helpful.

Any input is much appreciated — thanks in advance.

hhaw

One possible route is finding a good trauma informed therapist practicing emdr and memory reconsolidation, among other things, ime.

Things can heal easily....very quickly if you're open to that sort of help.  Our brains just need a chance to heal, and reducing stress, with guided therapy, has worked for me.

Good luck and don't be afraid to interview therapists to find the right fit.

hhaw

What you are speaks so loudly in my ears.... I can't hear a word you're saying.

When someone tells you who they are... believe them.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
Nietchzsche

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness."
Eleanor Roosevelt

Boat Babe

I just live the work of Dr Kristine Neff on Mindful self Compassion. Best thing I have come across for dealing with my painful feelings. That and good, basic self care.
Most of us here have some level of C-PTSD and have a lot to contend with. Pete Walker's book on the subject is just great and really helpful. The insights on the 4F responses are spot on.
And spending time with good people (not easy at the moment). This forum is a lifesaver for many and I love coming here.

Do share your healing journey with us as we will learn from you and cheer you on.
It gets better. It has to.

BestLife08

Thanks for your input - I'll look into those suggestions.  I wish everyone a good day.