Managing finances with PD Partner

Started by Dtodream, April 03, 2021, 09:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtodream

Hi. I have an issue where I am the sole income of a family; wife and two kids under 3. She is the full time mum and I believe is suffering some level of BPD though it is not formally diagnosed.

The budget is quite tight and we have disagreements about what to spend money on which I keep trying to resolve In a balanced way.

I have allocated an equal amount of personal spending money (around 7% of total income)  to each of us she is still insisting on controlling or limiting my spending on certain activities. We keep going round and round and whatever I propose it never gets resolved.

Anyone have any advice on how to set boundaries or how to talk with her about this so that I can enjoy activities that are important to me while also being repsonsible for the family and fair and equitable to my partner.

1footouttadefog

Do the activities in dispute come out of your part of the 7%.

Does her part have to be spent on the kids activities?

Those are just a couple examples of things that came to mind as questions where a dispute over spending money might have the devil in the details.

I would think over the senRio to examine for possible overlooked "unfainesses" before having a talk.

If you feel things are fair, I would ask her in what way she thinks things are unfair.

Perhaps it's not about money directly but a lack of access to free time to do things the money might otherwise afford her.

Perhaps it's a matter of your free time being spent eslewhere is felt like rejection, or that she has less of a life away from home and sees your outside activities as unfair.

If she is a stay at home mom, she might be depending on you for having all or most her needs met and you having other interests and activities is adding to a problem of being unfulfilled. 

Sometimes people fight over something  it the fight is merely symbolic for an underlying issue or unmet need.