Progress, light at end of tunnel.

Started by 1footouttadefog, May 28, 2021, 07:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1footouttadefog

I have goals I have discussed regarding a small property I bought and want to turn into a small food forest retreat with a tiny home.  I  am also wanting to work part time in organic gardening.

I hav made a tiny progress to that end.  I was able to break ground and at least plant a real big family garden this year.

Lumber prices are so high I will not finish my shed to tiny house conversion, however I will put the septic system in place and don't mind camping in an unfinished building.

I am now working in time management as I realize some more of my time is descretionary now and I need to focus it on my goals and not let it all be absorbed by the pdh who will fill a bucket the size of the universe's time-space continuum given the chance. 

Cat of the Canals

Congratulations! And honestly, this sounds like more than a tiny progression!

And I hear you on the lumber prices... I did a small wood project a few weeks ago, and the tutorial I was following bragged that it could be made with "just $25 in lumber!" It cost me almost $100. YIKES.

JustKeepTrying

WOW!  This is so amazingly cool!

Please plant little cherry tomatoes for me and eat them warm right off the plant!

Boat Babe

That sounds like such an amazing project. Wishing you good luck and affordable wood !
It gets better. It has to.

1footouttadefog

I don't mind the unfinished raw plywood and 2x4 interior for now.  Once a bathroom is working, getting the plants in is my priority.  I have a desk and a good chair so I can eat and relax there.  I have an air mattress and a sleeping bag, some books, arrorted food and drinks and a camp stove and such things.

I have some assorted studs and odd bits of lumber I may have enough to make the bathroom/kitchen divider wall that will hold the plumbing.

Boat Babe

I live on a narrow boat. Very small space but, after three years I have made it into a lovely tiny home. It's my refuge and I love it. 
It gets better. It has to.

JustKeepTrying

When I first moved out, I rented a hell hole.  The previous had been evicted and there was excrement on the walls.  I had to rip out floors, walls and more.  But I could afford it and the work distracted me.  Now it is a lovely small place that I enjoy.

In a few months, I am leaving on to full-time rv in a small motorhome.

The peace is incredible and I wouldn't change a thing.  My patio is covered in plants and I can't wait for the vegetables to come in.  I love the energy you are putting out there!

1footouttadefog

I have just enough plants in my garden as well as on my patio at home to give me optimism that I could manage a whole lot more next year working it as a part time job.

I have a 100 foot row of potato plants two deep for example.  A dozen assorted tomato plants, a dozen or more peppers, squash, zucchini, cukes, beans and an eggolant just for looks.

I planted a large cattle water tank, as a raised bed full of ginger. I bought a small case of it for 2.00 last fall and still had over half a case of semi shriveled ginger roots with sprouts coming out so I planted then.

They are coming out of the soil and making leaves!  I am so excited.

Got a lot of junk off my farm property tHt was left by previous owners
Now the shed is useful to keep gatmrden tools in without worrying about getting hurt or snake bit etc.

More progress. 

square

That sounds AWESOME! I love gardening, can't physically do it anymore - could do pots but live entirely in shade. But I love all the possibilities, especially when the first shoots appear! And then the flowers and finally that little fruit.

athene1399

This sounds awesome. It sounds like a little garden oasis. I hope it is very relaxing :) it sounds like it would be!

Andeza

Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

1footouttadefog

My garden is being largely eaten by animals. Other than that it's going well.  By that I mean my management of the watering and such has been adequate. 

I am planning to rework some of the broken down fencing to make a corner of the property like fort knox.  Perhaps by late summer I will  have a space ready for fall cool season planting.

The patio garden is still coming nicely.  My potatoes and tomatoes and peppers are still okay at the garden but the deer and groundhogs and voles and moles and etc etc etc have eaten the  corn, beans plants, zuchinis and squash plants and all lettuces and greens.

Goals, this year was a small experiment to discover the challenges of this property while adding to the small home garden priduction  Mission accomplished.

Now I get to make new goals for fall and spring based on experience. 

JustKeepTrying

Thank you for the update!  I thought of you as i weighed seeds or starter plants for my small patio garden.  I miss my big garden and feeling the dirt and the smell of the plants after a morning dew.  I miss the gallons of tomatoes to give to neighbors and the weight of a hefty watering can.  Now I settle for a large tiered system that you water the top and it trickles down.  Gives me more plants per small square inch patio.

Hearing about all your critters sounds like a little corner of paradise.

1footouttadefog

I used the felt cloth like grow bags in the patio.  I am really liki g them.  We put them out two years ago with reasonable success but redid the soil in then with peat moss and chicken coop amendments and this year the patio garden is really successful.  I like the air pruning concept and think the bags work well for that.

Hope you get lots from your patio.

A friend who lives in an urban apt had a multi tiered aero garden setup for herbs and su h and liked it quite well perhaps you can expand inside also.

Coyote23

I want to be you when I grow up! This sounds flipping amazing.

1footouttadefog

Got final approval /inspection so I will be able to turn power on at the shed to home.

The recent period dealing with pdh surgery and the mental health break down ahd psych hospital has put me behind.  I might get to plant the patio containers with fall greens but that will be about it.  Oh well, I can work on the fencing and get some repairs and house  maintenance caught up and be super ready for spring.

Looks like pdh will be doing daycare twice a week so maybe I will be able to get some things done those days.

Andeza

I hope that works out so you can get out in nature and breathe. Sounds like what I'm doing this fall, although I've got garlic to get in the ground next month as well as prepping and planting at least one bed of fall crops. I didn't get to do anything for the summer this year. Too much going on.

Are you planning on kale, spinach, lettuce, chard, etc.?
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

1footouttadefog

Kale, lettuce, turnips bok choy and radish

Even if they don't finish I can use the greens.

Andeza

Don't know your zone, but a frost cloth saved my strawberries from an early freeze last year in zone 6. Might be worth the investment. That or a bunch of old sheets can work if it doesn't snow where you are. But you should get something out of your garden. The radish especially. They'll be done first. Kale can take a beating and keep going. I'll be very surprised if you don't get anything from it, no matter your zone. Short of Alaska, of course.  :bigwink:

oak_tree

Quote from: JustKeepTrying on May 29, 2021, 12:18:31 AM
WOW!  This is so amazingly cool!

Please plant little cherry tomatoes for me and eat them warm right off the plant!
:yeahthat:

Love these projects, 1foot, you rock! Gardens are so rewarding!! And so are small living spaces. I may have been a cat in a former life...