Started by Wonder76, June 30, 2021, 08:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wonder76

Hi there,

I'm going by Wonder76 here and I'm brand new to this website and forum. My counselor recommended it to me and so far the resources have been so wonderful. I've known my mom has had issues for a while, but somehow always minimize the abuse or rationalize things. Or I internalize it as if I deserved it. She's very manipulative and plays "dumb" so it's not as easy to tell when abuse is occurring. So, I just got the book Stop Walking on Eggshells (another recommendation from my counselor) and am starting this journey here.  I want to thrive and feel freedom while also not forgetting the abuse.  I seem to go through cycles of doing really well emotionally and in my life then I guess I get triggered and realize how bad it [childhood stuff and current stuff] is and kind of spiral. I want to thrive while not denying the abuse. I don't know how to do that, but I'm willing to try.

Andeza

Welcome! Sorry you need us, but glad you found us. We like to say abuse is abuse. There's no need to minimize your experience, or try to downplay what you've been through. We've shared that pain ourselves to varying degrees, and we've come together to help each other. Be sure to check out the pd parents forum, and I also recommend the working on us and future goals forums since you mention desiring a better future. It is achievable. It is work, self-work which is never easy, but it can be done. And we've got a wealth of recommended reading!
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Wonder76

Thank you! I'm slowly dipping my toes into the resources.  It all feels a little overwhelming, but in a really good way! I'm finally getting some tools.