Fiction books or podcasts about survivors?

Started by D., July 20, 2021, 10:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.

Any suggestions for fictional books about people who have overcome and thrived through relational trauma?  I am going to do some searching online but thought I'd ask the group here as well.  Or a thread/list somewhere on the forum of such a resource?  I really like learning through stories. 

Sapling

Hi D.
I wonder if you've heard of The Homecoming Podcast with Dr. Thema? I found it really useful in grounding me after a relationship with lots of turmoil. Most of the episodes are about building emotional skills and having the courage to strike out on new paths (which I felt was important for anyone who has been in a long standing pattern/dynamic with a PD). Her approach is holistic and trauma informed.

Re: Fiction, I read a lot of fiction but imo a lot of the best literature tends to focus on the tragedy of relational trauma rather than recovery (eg. Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin, or Notes of a Scandal by Zoe Heller). I'd be interested to see what other folks post on here about fiction. Could you say something more specific about what kind of relational trauma you are thinking of?

D.

Hello Sapling,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I'll look into the pod cast.  For the past 10 years I've focused more on story told through audio-visual media (UnReal w/NPD mom, Homeland w/high functioning & MH challenge).  Many others, but cannot think of them right now.  I sort of stopped reading at the time of my divorce for some reason...

But, I remember I really liked world literature.  I am scanning through Oprah book lists and others.  Now that I have such different eyes and perspective I would like to try reading again.

I know what you mean about focus on the tragedy.  I am looking more for the after story.

I recently listened to See No Stranger.  The author does a terrific job of recovering from abuse in a healthy way and shares her journey.  The abuse isn't so much PD like here, but still I learned and felt validated.  It was non-fiction so I suppose non-fiction could work too.

I think it's the validation and learning I take away from stories. 

Which is a lot of what happens on this forum as well...

Anyway thank you for responding.  And I will keep on my search!