Need help with NC

Started by TimetoHeal, July 20, 2021, 08:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimetoHeal

I just broke it off with a very toxic boyfriend about a week ago. We only dated 3 months, but I feel like it's been 3 years. Anyway, I tried to send a thoughtful email explaining things and saying maybe we could think of our time together as positive (I know, I know). You know, the kind of thing you can do when a normal, adult relationship ends. But he responded just today with a very convoluted email that of course blames me for everything and takes no responsibility. I now have to send him a final email that says I want no contact whatsoever. I am really scared of what his reaction is going to be. He says, "I'm not angry or upset per se", but I know that's exactly what he is.  I don't know why I just thought things could gradually fade out.

Any thoughts on wording or just encouragement would be appreciated.

BeautifulCrazy

Dear Time,

Congratulations on recognizing the signs so early and making your escape!
NC can be so difficult, even after a relatively short relationship.
You can do this!!

A few thoughts you can take or leave...

Do you really need to have the final word?
What's stopping you from considering the relationship over already, and just blocking your ex on all media and avenues of communication?
If he CAN'T contact you and you DON'T contact him, what's the difference?

If you feel you absolutely HAVE to send something final because you think he might escalate, or so you have documented proof, I suggest the clearest, simplest, shortest message possible.

Dear X,
Please do not ever contact me again, by any means. Any attempts to contact me are unwanted and will be viewed as harassment. 
From TimetoHeal

Don't overthink, overcomplicate, or overaccomodate.

Best wishes and hoping that this really is a time to heal for you!

~BC

TimetoHeal

Hi, BeautifulCrazy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I am thankful for seeing the signs and getting out "relatively " early, but frankly, I'm embarrassed to be here yet again in another relationship that is so similar...🤦🏻‍♀️

As to sending a final email, I was thinking along the lines of having on record that I asked him to stop contacting me. Your thoughts have given me something to think about though. I don't know if I know how to block emails, but I could look into it. I guess he could escalate either way?  It's hard to know what to do...