Hello everyone

Started by Operation: Escapegoat, September 04, 2021, 07:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Operation: Escapegoat

I've been looking for a healthy group support outlet for dealing with the experience and effects of narcissistic and personally disordered parenting. I'm in my mid-30's and at the end of last year was diagnosed with Autism and PTSD, and that has shed an immense light on who I really am outside of the overwhelming narcissistic projections and abuse I experienced throughout my foundational years.  Throughout my life, I've been scapegoated by my mother, often double teamed by her and my "golden child" brother (who I also suspect is on the spectrum).  My father is likely also on the spectrum, but at the same time I wonder if he is Borderline.

To varying extents both of my parents and my brother have thoroughly exploited me throughout my life.  I married and then eventually divorced a man with NPD in 2019 and in the aftermath of the divorce, compounded with Covid and a layoff, what was supposed to have been a temporary return to my childhood home, has now dragged on until I can successfully extract myself.  I have struggled with gaining independence from my parents my entire life due to their sabotaging demands and emotional blackmail, coupled with extreme life circumstances and again what I now understand to be common struggles with Autism.  I have been working really hard to secure employment, but would really like to be able to keep my awareness grounded in the toxic reality of the environment I'm in and have support for the inevitable flare-ups that have already occurred and will continue to occur as I try to permanently extract myself physically and emotionally.  My mother is really the most severely damaging relationship in my life and the one that is most likely to attempt to sabotage my separation, but my father is at times very difficult to be around as well. It is very difficult to navigate all of the manipulations and aggression while I try to lay groundwork for a better future for myself. I would really appreciate help with this.

notrightinthehead

Welcome! You have come to a good place, full of information and support. As a start I suggest you read through the Personality Disorders  and TOOLBOX tabs. Then start implementing the strategies from the Toolbox that are appropriate for your situation when dealing with your family in order to better protect yourself from the abuse.
You might also want to look for some outside help like a support group, counselling, therapy in addition to reading and posting on this forum.
I am really glad, you found us and look forward to your posts.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

guitarman

Welcome. You are not alone.

Keep calm. Stay strong. Be safe.
"Do not let the behaviour of others destroy your inner peace." - Dalai Lama

"You don't have to be a part of it, you can become apart from it." - guitarman

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can." - Anon

"If it hurts it isn't love." - Kris Godinez, counsellor and author

Quote from: notrightinthehead on September 05, 2021, 02:31:29 AM
Welcome! You have come to a good place, full of information and support. As a start I suggest you read through the Personality Disorders  and TOOLBOX tabs. Then start implementing the strategies from the Toolbox that are appropriate for your situation when dealing with your family in order to better protect yourself from the abuse.
You might also want to look for some outside help like a support group, counselling, therapy in addition to reading and posting on this forum.
I am really glad, you found us and look forward to your posts.

Thank you, I will study those tabs carefully.  Yes, I have a regular therapist that is aware of the circumstances and provides emergency support, as well as a few close friends that I can stay with from time to time, but I try to reserve staying with them for extreme situations so as not to exhaust them as well.

Quote from: guitarman on September 05, 2021, 08:39:03 AM
Welcome. You are not alone.

Keep calm. Stay strong. Be safe.

Thank you