Re: Taxes

Started by Gettintired76, September 27, 2021, 11:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

To clarify, is your ex letting her new husband claim the kids without her, or are they filing jointly and claiming the kids?

Starboard Song

Quote from: Gettintired76 on January 08, 2022, 03:50:05 PM
There's an update on the tax situation, my ex is most likely going to be letting her new husband file the kids, even tho she has only been around the for well 3 months now. I'm trying to get all my stuff in order so I can file before her.

Nobody gets to choose who it is that claims someone as a dependent. IRS rules define what it means to have a dependent. No two people ever have legitimate claims at the same time, though in close calls two people could genuinely disagree. So if you know you are the one who can claim them for 2021, you win.

But you are also right to want to get in there first. The second person trying to claim the same kids will probably be the one who has to fight for it. Be prepared with evidence that you are the one providing more than 50% of their expenses in 2021.

Good luck!
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

Gettintired76

Oh she already gets the credits she's had thousands of dollars come to her the last 3 months and still goes at me because Can't pay support of which I've only missed a month.