Is virtue signalling basically Narcissism?

Started by Jumping Juniper, December 10, 2021, 01:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumping Juniper

Had an unbelievable day yesterday..

Will fill you in on the background.
Neighbours moved out and was paid over the odds for house from dodgy foreign businessmen.
Strange goings on and people hanging round and fast forward a few months and it is clear we have a cannabis farm next door.

So I do the normal thing, I phone the police.
The bossy neighbour on the other side demands to know what I will do about it as her young children go to school now smelling of weed. I tell her I have already called the police and she should do the same.
She won't do this because she "doesn't like the police"

Next thing we hear is that bossy has attempted to "make friends" with the man growing cannabis and try to have an agreement with him. She finds out he can't speak much English and has actually been trafficked into the country. She claims to feel "really worried about his safety" just as she was "really worried about her children" but as long as she can't smell it herself then all is good with her (because you need to know at this stage that it is all about her)

Fast forward a few months to yesterday.. Just before 8am the police break the door down and the man is taken away in handcuffs. My bossy neighbour said he gave her a "betrayed look" and she spent virtually the whole day pacing in front of the house/ crime scene as though it all belonged to her.
She kept saying to anyone who would list "I didn't want this to happen! I didn't want this to happen! I didn't want this to happen!"

She then said she wasn't worried about the drugs but was worried about the man and cried when the police took him away. This is a person who said she would turn a blind eye and did nothing.

She kept talking about how bad she felt and that she didn't want to involve the police whilst pacing up and down outside the house. It was as though the world turned without her knowing as she was furious about it.

It made me think of virtue signalling.
First it was my problem to deal with because of awful drug growers and her poor kids.

Then it was the poor drug grower and to hell with her own kids.
Then it was the police who were the violent oppressors who had acted on the situation without consulting her or asking her permission. How dare they?!

It was so weird to see her strut around in front of the house after the fact shouting "I didn't want this?!" Into the street, furious that it all happened without her being there at the centre of it.

Like I said, like virtue signalling..
Wanted to be seen to be right in the middle of something, owning it and managing it without actually doing anything about it!
Imagine really believing the best thing to do about human trafficking (a man who was terrified, alone and cut off from family, no food and no freedom to leave but forced to run a drug farm) she thought the best thing to do was to "declare it to be her problem" and then DO NOTHING about it!

notrightinthehead

The world is full of strange people. I am sorry, you have to live so close to one. She sounds self centred and histrionic. I bet she is a good one to practise medium chill and grey rock with.
Next time she has a problem, you could try just reflecting it back to her "You seem to be worried about the guy." Full stop. Nothing else. "The farming of weed seems to bother you." Full stop. Nothing else. Then move off or change topic. "How about the weather?" If you are lucky she will latch on to someone else.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Hazy111

Yep, wherever narc supply can be garnered, its garnered.

An ex of mine (most probably a UBPD Queen) discovered her youngest brother had cancer. She declared that she had to go home to care for him. He lived in another country with his girlfriend , lots of other brothers and sisters mom and dad, but hey it was "her duty" . She never carried through with it but there were weeks of preparation for the big move etc.  :roll:

Jumping Juniper

Indeed she has even done the exact same thing before. A neighbour dumped a really beautiful dog on the street at night when drunk and she swooped in to look after the dog in a really histrionic way. She took into her house for 5 mins and then came out again with the dog moaning that he was so nervous that he soiled her carpet and she decided she couldn't do it after all. She pretty much demanded that I took the dog off her but I was getting up early in the morning to travel abroad so I couldn't.  They talk a big game but no follow through.